Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-10-2010, 12:41 AM   #61
Aquarium Advice Addict

Her sand is so shallow that I think it's diatoms and caused by light hitting the outside of her tank. Hydrogen sulfide shows up black...

Old 04-10-2010, 12:42 AM   #62
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok. Better safe than sorry.

Follow my 6G Pico build!
Mitchell0605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 01:00 AM   #63
Aquarium Advice Activist

The LFS said they were LED lights, I think you can see them in the video...
YouTube - Video 1.AVI
(Dang that video makes me sad, everything is dead). You can see the sand in it too, that's how it still looks. Just a little bit of brown.

My worm is out again so maybe he'll make it (superworm!).
Old 04-10-2010, 07:33 AM   #64
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah those are LEDs.

Follow my 6G Pico build!
Mitchell0605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 07:51 AM   #65
Aquarium Advice Addict

Bonnie, how many fish do you have in your tank now?
Old 04-10-2010, 11:12 AM   #66
Aquarium Advice Activist

I see a lot of people posting about getting LED lights, what is so great about them? I'm sure these are crappy and the LFS pretty much indicated they were. But Im just curious.

I'm down to 3 fish and 1 worm. (3 firefish gobys and a yellow striped cleaner goby)

The rest of them died except for the damsel fish. I gave him away because he was mean. Whats frustrating for me is not knowing WHY they all died when water tests fine except for nitrates. Because I have no way of avoiding it again. I guess when I get the new tank I will make sure I have everything I could possible get and go VERY slow.

P.S. Is there a level of Nitrates that will kill them? It's possible that it's actually off the chart. It's hard for me to tell but its pretty red. I have to pick up salt today so I'll take a sample to him.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:22 AM   #67
Aquarium Advice Activist

On the plus....the firefish gobies come out all the time now! I wanted to give them away because I wouldnt see them for days. Maybe it's because they have rooom now, or maybe the tank is finally ok.

Hmmm.....I DID change the filter yesterday with the water change. And now the firefish gobies are out. The LFS (idiot one) told me it was due to be changed later this week and to wait because the bacteria in it would probably help whatever was killing the fish. (One of those whisper filters.) Maybe something bad was in it.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:34 AM   #68
AA Team Emeritus

Nitrate up to ~80 should not be harmful to fish. Below 25 is fine as a goal for a FOWLR.
For now you need to work on getting the water parameters including nitrate in check.
The water level in your tank seem low. I'm guessing it should be just below the filter outlet ( a couple of inches higher than it is in the video).

Most of the beneficial bacteria are on the LR and the sand. How often do you change the filter material? Is it a foan pad with some charcoal in it?
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 11:39 AM   #69
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yeah I have the water level higher now. That was right after I brought it home.

He told me to change the filter every 2 weeks. Im not sure what the material is. It does look like some kind of foam and I had to rinse it to get the dust out. Does that tell you anything?
Old 04-10-2010, 03:25 PM   #70
AA Team Emeritus

Yes, it does seem that you have a filter pad with a small amount of GAC (charcoal) inside. When you rinse the new pad does black water and dust come out? That would be GAC dust from shipping and settling.

Did the tank come with that filter or did the lfs sell it you seperately from the tank?

You have an LED light. Who makes and what model is it? Is it designed for an aquarium?
LED's are the hot new thing in aquarium lighting. You can get the same PAR as MH lights without the heat. LEDs last for years while MH bulbs need to be replaced every year. Like anything else there are great brands, some that will do and some that are pure junk.

I just switched from a combo MH/PC fixture to LED's. I bought on the high end but love it. I'm hoping this is my last light fixture for the next 5 years or I hit the lottery and get that 2500 gallon tank going <lol>.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
die, dieing, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com