Help! My tank is dieing...grrrr

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ammonia comes from something decomposing and not having enough bacteria to convert it from ammonia to nitrites (and eventually nitrates). The obvious answer could be that a fish died and you can't find it. Ammonia can also come about when people stir up their sand beds and release a bunch of nasties that had previously been locked up in the sand. With how new your tank is, I doubt that's your case.

Another possibility... but there's no way to tell if it's the case... is that you're actually seeing an ammonia spike from some of your beneficial bacteria dieing off. When you got the tank and it was supposedly cycled, if it was truly cycled you would've had a LOT of beneficial bacteria in it because the bioload was so high. Once your fish started dieing, and your bioload dropped drastically, all that bacteria didn't have enough to "eat" anymore. So now that you're fish bioload dropped, your bacterial population will drop. And amazingly... dieing bacteria will cause a shift in water parameters just like anything else will. I'd once read that the bacteria bioload in a tank is actually larger than your fish bioload. (Think I read that in Fenner's "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist". I think.)

Not sure if that's what's going on in your case, but it's just another possibility.

You can add additives (Seachem's Prime, Amquel, etc) that bind up the ammonia into non-toxic compounds, but your test kits will still show ammonia because of how it interacts with the new compounds. You just have to trust it's doing its job. But water changes are the easiest and safest thing to do - especially on a 10g.

And lastly...dang, if my ammonia can jump that fast (1 is deadly, right?) is there anypoint in keeping a 10g tank? ...

In my opinion, for someone just starting out in the hobby... no. A 10g reef is just not a easy way into this hobby.

I just reread your post. Phosphate are 5? Like 5.0 ppm?

Have you tested your "new" saltwater you're putting in that tank for phosphates? That number is sooooo high, I can't fathom where all of that could be coming from if your source water is clean. Overfeeding doesn't seem like it would generate that much. Just for reference, folks normally try to keep their phosphates undetectable, but at least below 0.03 ppm.

Is the bacteria in the water column or in the rock and sand? To get the nitrates and phosphates down, Ive done some pretty big water changes. Just thinking maybe I'm pulling out the good bacteria.

Yeah, the phosphates are really that high. The day before yesterday it was off the charts.

When I took the water into the store (the good one) to have it tested, they checked it. I hadn't been checking that because the test didnt come in my kit. But I bought a separate one so I could test.

They told me high phosphates could come from overfeeding or light being on too long. Ive only been feeding every other day since all this started so I would imagine it was that high from the beginning.

They also gave me some BellaPhos which I put into one of those filter bag things and placed it into the tank yesterday after a really big water change.

ETA: No phosphates in the store water Im using. I tested it. Everything looks great in their water.

Also, just did another huge water change. The fish are still alive so can't see anything that died. How odd. The ammonia has been the one thing under control. Maybe I did the test wrong somehow. I'll wait a while and repeat.

Tank is looking better today. And Bubba the turbo snail seems to have recovered and is back on the glass, woot!

Salinity=1.025 (just added a tiny bit of frshwater to drop it back down)
temp=76.5
ammonia=0 (I must have done something wrong)
Nitrate=20 (woohooo)
Nitrite=0
PH=8.0

Phosphates are now between 2 and 5 (they WERE off the charts). How toxic is the phosphates? Justtrying to decide if I should keep doing huge water changes or back it off and go lighter now.

Blimey I've just read all 11 pages of this thread,what a trip you've had.The main thing i would suggest is to keep doing your 10% water changes,marine fish keeping is a hard slog but once you've got to grips with it all it's an amazing hobby,as for your turbo snail the last time mine hid for a while it laid a load of eggs and now I have about 40 of them all ranging from about 2mm to about 8mm in size.

just keep at it you'll be amazed at what will appear in your tank in a few months

P03 is bad because it causes excess algae growth ie:hairalgae and in the beginning diatoms and slime algae,... So yes continue with the PWC's. I was thinking that you did the ammonia test incorrectly yesterday, but it's behind you so it looks great...

Isnt it wierd I have yet to see any algae? The only thing I see is the brown stuff under the sand through the glass. That's diatoms right? Nothing on top of the sand or glass. Maybe Bubba the snail is just a piggy. ;)

Or maybe your lights ar not that strong.

Last edited:
Thincat's probably right about the lights. If I remember right, that setup only has very low wattage LEDs on it - just enough to show off the color of your fish. It's really not enough to really get the algae to take off... but it will, given time.

Phosphates - as far as I know - are not dangerous to fish. They will inhibit coral growth, and fuel algae growth, but that's it. That phosphate remover you're using should suck up quite a bit, so if you want to slow down on the water changes just because of the phosphates, that would seem OK.

I just wanted to thank you all once again. Seems like the tank is under control now. Woohoo!

Haha soon! I might play with this a bit more. The good LFS guy gave me a small kenya tree so I got my very first coral :D Feels good to be able to actually enjoy the tank for a bit.

Once my parameters are totally good I might try adding a few small corals to get my feet wet. I ordered a light today as well which Ill try over this 10g but it will also work over the new tank Im wanting. So Im feeling kind of excited now :) Plus all the remaining critters seem happy.

I would look hard for the dead fish... or maybe it was turbo... but a death could cause a spike like that in a small tank. The tank is still worth keeping you just have to keep a closer eye on it when things are a little rocky (or in your case an airplane braking apart in mid air... but you see to be doing alright making a parachute out of the luggage to save yourself and all near by) was that too much of a metaphor?

Back
Top Bottom