Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-02-2013, 10:08 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Help! Need advice on fishless cycling

So I wanna check if my tank is ready and I wanna know how many drops of pure ammonia do I add to my tank to add up to 4 ppm??

Old 12-03-2013, 10:06 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Google "aquarium ammonia calculator" I'm on my phone so a little more difficult to post a link

Old 12-04-2013, 09:32 PM   #3
jlk
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here's the link to the ammonia calculator- scroll to the bottom of the page. What size tank is this? If its something smaller (5-10g), you honestly do not need to dose beyond 2ppm.

Calculator
Old 12-04-2013, 09:42 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlk View Post
Here's the link to the ammonia calculator- scroll to the bottom of the page. What size tank is this? If its something smaller (5-10g), you honestly do not need to dose beyond 2ppm. Calculator

Ok thanks also my tank is a 30 gal .. Will 2ppm be ok?
Old 12-04-2013, 09:54 PM   #5
jlk
Aquarium Advice Addict

You can honestly dose to 2ppm without an issue unless you plan on pushing your stocking limits right from the start. If you wish to develop a greater set of bacteria that can handle 4ppm, it will be easy to accomplish at the end of your cycle, too.

Once your tank is converting 2ppm easily, increase the ammonia dose by .5ppm each day for a few days and your bacteria will adjust upwards in accordance with the increase in ammonia dose. Please ask if you have any questions!
Old 12-04-2013, 09:58 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
You can honestly dose to 2ppm without an issue unless you plan on pushing your stocking limits right from the start. If you wish to develop a greater set of bacteria that can handle 4ppm, it will be easy to accomplish at the end of your cycle, too. Once your tank is converting 2ppm easily, increase the ammonia dose by .5ppm each day for a few days and your bacteria will adjust upwards in accordance with the increase in ammonia dose. Please ask if you have any questions!
Oh ok.. Well I plan on just starting off wit a clown fish then work my way up to more fishes gradually.. So would I have to keep adding ammonia?.. Also what's a good time frame that the bacteria should break down the ammonia?
Old 12-04-2013, 10:51 PM   #7
jlk
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan7474 View Post
Oh ok.. Well I plan on just starting off wit a clown fish then work my way up to more fishes gradually.. So would I have to keep adding ammonia?.. Also what's a good time frame that the bacteria should break down the ammonia?
A clown fish? What type of clown fish are you considering?

When your ammonia drops below 1ppm (preferably to zero), dose it back up to 2ppm. It may take awhile before you see an initial drop. The hardest part is waiting.
Old 12-05-2013, 04:13 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
A clown fish? What type of clown fish are you considering? When your ammonia drops below 1ppm (preferably to zero), dose it back up to 2ppm. It may take awhile before you see an initial drop. The hardest part is waiting.
So I tested the water and the ammonia level dropped pretty much to zero.. And nitrites are at .25 ppm and nitrates are high up to 80 ppm ... These results are from after dosing my tank wit 3.0 ppm of pure ammonia.. Does this mean my tank has cycled?
Old 12-05-2013, 05:33 PM   #9
jlk
Aquarium Advice Addict

Still in the cycling process but doing well! Once your ammonia and nitrite steadily drop to zero in a 24hr period from the initial ammonia dose, its safe to say your cycled. Steadily means this occurs every day for a couple of days in a row.

Still curious as to what type of 'clown' fish your considering?
Old 12-05-2013, 05:47 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Still in the cycling process but doing well! Once your ammonia and nitrite steadily drop to zero in a 24hr period from the initial ammonia dose, its safe to say your cycled. Steadily means this occurs every day for a couple of days in a row. Still curious as to what type of 'clown' fish your considering?
Awesome! Should I do a water change or just wait?? So I should keep dosing my tank with ammonia?.. Oh just the typical clown fish like nemo lol and the black and white one too

Tags
advice, fishless, cycling

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com