help needed!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BakerBoy17

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I want to start a salt water tank. What could I do with a ten gallon?

What he is trying to tell u is that a 10g is useless for a SW tank

Ive seen alot of them.. How is it useless? What's the lowest you would go

A 10 gallon slat water tank is not going to be very stable, and will be hard to keep all the paramaters correct. It can be done but not recommended. My smallest tank before I got it down to 1 tank was a 44 gal pentagon and not sure if it was the lack of water movement but never was really happy with the levels in the tank.

David S's answer was short but mostly correct, Safe the 10 gal for a QT tank and get a larger tank.

seekinghealth said:
Ive seen alot of them.. How is it useless? What's the lowest you would go

The lowest I would go is the 30g I have now....

stop taking it seriously,I was joking hence the lol.You can use a 10g but it doesn't give you much options with stocking it,what stock do you fancy?fowlr or corals.Small tanks are the hardest to keep stable and quickest to crash,I would advise anyone starting out to go with at least a 30g tank

I wasn't taking it hard. I was just asking. And that wasn't much of an answer. And I have a 32 gallon.

After you cycled your tank the typical start for small tanks is two clown fish and a house for them. If you are using power-heads for water flow I would recommend a bubble tip anemone or a hammer head coral. Both of them are generally hardy and can handle some fluctuations. Cardinal fish can be housed with clownfish, but they also need to be in a pair, since they will get lonely. It would be best to get a male and female cardinal. I wouldn't recommend more than 4 small fish in a 30 gallon. Nitrates tend to build more quickly in a smaller system. I would not get any damsel since they can be aggressive and I won't get any aggressive fish as one of your starter fishies.

Don't forget to get a few snails to help with algae build up.

While bigger is better and easier a 10g doesn thave to be a total write off. I have a 4g pico full of corals and one fish and inverts. Not a bad little tank in my opinion. :)

But it is true that wehn you are dealing with a smaller tank the parameters are easier to go south, and when they do they go fast. You have to be constantly on the watch in little tanks and very careful with stocking and feeding.

Hope that helps a bit.

Back
Top Bottom