Help Needed Filtration for 75gal Reef & Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kylo2021

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I’m looking at starting a 75Gal Reef With corals and fish. I can get my hands on a tank already set for freshwater that has an Fx4 and Fluval 406 on it. Would that be enough to support tank health and corals? Thanks for your advice!

Canisters are not really a great choice for reef tanks. Look onto a sump or sump build

Yeah that was my plan 75-100 lbs LR and I found a 90gal rated skimmer to throw on there. My main questions was for the Filtration. Is that Fx4 and the Fluval 406 enough to get the flow right?

Problem with canisters seems to be the trapping and holding of organics. Unless you clean them weekly you'll have algae issues do to excess organics. Lots of reefers like using filter socks in the sump to grab all the crap before it hits the sump and gunks up everything. I run a canister on my 75 gal fw and the thing is nasty after a month. I would never run one on my reef. You can achieve flow with a couple reasonably priced power heads. Get a skimmer and lr. Ditch the canisters, or run the smaller one with floss and clean it every few days. Again.. sump is 100% way to go imo

A skimmer rated for 90g May be to small for a 75 especially if it’s hang on back. Hobs really suck compared to their in sump counterparts. You’ll also need powerheads as additional flow. Like brook said skip the canisters and just run live rock and a skimmer.

Back
Top Bottom