Help needed, from A to Z...!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Peixe

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello guys.
First, loved the site and all of you. Very informative and funny! This is exactly what I was looking for.
Im very excited about setting up a reef and fish tank. I "already" have the stand (from CL) also the tank, glass w/o any drilling. It,s a 75g. My wife gave me a set of lighting also. I'd love to have some advice and instructions from you guys. The light is a Coralife aqualight Pro.

All right, here is my first question. :(

Does anyone know a site where i can get a kit for my drilling, online or not. I'd buy a prefer a kit wit overflow box and drill bit etc.

Please help... I think this would be my next step

Thank you

an overflow box and a drill bit won't come together. If you drill the tank, you'll need a pvc kit, but the overflow box is a separate technique. If you 75g is tempered glass, which i think it is, then you cannot drill it, it will shatter the glass. Your Coralife fixture, is it t5 ho, or compact fluorescent? Also, have you thought about what kind of sump you'll be getting? DIY, or branded? You can find pretty much anything on bulkreefsupply, so my advice would be to start making a list of what you'll need, and ask advice from there.

Great decision on wanting to get your tank drilled. Check and see if the back is tempered or not.

Glass-Holes.com dope aquarium stuff

They have a kit with an overflow weir, diamond drill bit, and everything else you need to get your DT plumbed and ready.

Is your aqualight pro the 250w MH fixture? Those are pretty decent and you'd be able to keep anything you want using them.

AquaRick said:
Great decision on wanting to get your tank drilled. Check and see if the back is tempered or not.

Glass-Holes.com dope aquarium stuff

They have a kit with an overflow weir, diamond drill bit, and everything else you need to get your DT plumbed and ready.

Is your aqualight pro the 250w MH fixture? Those are pretty decent and you'd be able to keep anything you want using them.

Y e s !!! That's what I was looking for. Thx. Just bought it today. My ligths are 2 x 150w, for a beginner should be enough all rigth? Thank you again. I will posta pic after drilling it... If everithing goes fine.

Thank so much. I bought the kit today. It was exactly what I was looking for...! My light is a 2 x 150w. Not 250 but it shoulb be enough for a beginner, isn't it?

I will posg a pic after I ger it drilled...if it works fine!

The 150 MH should be fine for whatever you are doing. It might limit you to having your light demanding corals up top and nowhere else...but I don't see a problem with that. I'm not very familiar with MH as I went LED instead, but it should be fine. Someone with real MH experience will hopefully correct me if I am wrong.

That lighting should be fine for softies, mushrooms, zoas and LPS. You can probaly do some of the hardier SPS like green birds nest if you place it high in the tank.

Make sure you use PURE freshwater (along with your salt mix of course) to fill the tank and for top offs and water changes. This means buying RODI water or investing in an RODI system. Making the investment up front will save you a ton of headaches in the form of algae problems down the road. If you decide to buy your own system, Bulk Reef Supply has good prices and excellent customer service. You can find some similar products for less, but their construction and attention to detail is worth the small increase in price. There is almost always a group buy going on here that can help save you a few bucks.

Be sure to get some liquid test kits: at least ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH to start. You'll also want phosphate, calcium, and carbonate hardness (kH) soon. I'd also add magnesium to the list eventually.

Invest in a good protein skimmer. I'd avoid Coralife, Marineland, and Seaclone brands on that. Although these look to be a good deal, most folks end up wishing they'd spent a little more for a much better skimmer in short order. Craigslist is your friend.

Be sure to post pics as you go!

Thank so much. I bought the kit today. It was exactly what I was looking for...! My light is a 2 x 150w. Not 250 but it shoulb be enough for a beginner, isn't it?

Yup 150 will probably be fine for everything but SPS. If you do LPS, you'll most likely need to put them on the top.

Got my tank drilled

Hello people,
as I've said I got the kit from Gl...les and I drilled the tank today. That was awesome to do ! I will run the pipe down to the sump. What you guys and girls recommend? Pvc rigid or just flexible tubing...? Also is (Danner Mag-Drive Supreme 9.5 950 GPH Water Pump) a good one for me since the overflows is supposed to drain at 700gph? I'll try to post a pic today.:thanks:

Attachments

• DSC01429.jpg
    DSC01429.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 79
  • DSC01430.jpg
    DSC01430.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 100
I used schedule 40. (White PVC). 1 1/2" drain with (2) 1" returns. From return pump (external) I ran spa flex hose to a check valve, then to a "T", then to my holes. My drain is through the bottom. I'm doing a 120 and struggled with plumbing. If you need help, you can ask me. I figured it out. LOL.

Hello evbdy,

here is an up of my first marine, does it look good??? ! It's on the stand already. Painted the back, installed the overflow, draining with a 1 1/2 Hard pvc line. Reached the sump. I also have bought the smimmer (Octopus) and a Mag 9.5.. Just planning on buying a RODI system... is the one at BRS a good one (5 Stage plus, 199.00)? Also on my return line, should I use 1 1/2 pipe or hose as recommended by the manufacturer since the pump outlet is only 3/4...?
Thank you

Attachments

• DSC01436.jpg
    DSC01436.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 78
  • DSC01433.jpg
    DSC01433.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 78
I mean, if the power goes out, the water in your tank will drain all the way to the bottom of the hole your drain is connected to. Will your sump hold all this water, or will you have a flood on your hands?

I mean, if the power goes out, the water in your tank will drain all the way to the bottom of the hole your drain is connected to. Will your sump hold all this water, or will you have a flood on your hands?

Got it. Yes its going to be fine. On the return line I'll put a check valve. Also my water level is pretty high on the dt, and I won't keep the sump totally full jst to be aware of a power out...

Back
Top Bottom