Help, new to salt water!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moofu

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, i currently have a 30 gallon tanked that i had freshwater in. I have recently changed tanks to a 75 gallon for my freshwater fish. I am wanting to try to start salt water but ive read over the getting started sticky but im wanting a little bit more direct advice. I am wanting to do ONLY fish if thats possible. I would like to know everything i would need to start and maintain. I dont want any coral or anything unless that is needed. Thanks alot im a bit of a noobie at saltwater i dont really know anything! THANKS!

coral isn't needed. you will need saltwater test kits, salt, and a refractometer. everything else is the same as fresh water. the stocking procedure is a bit different though- you can't use the inches of fish per gallon rule. you have to research each fish and figure if your tank will suit them.

well thats good to know, do i need a different filter or everyone says i need a sump? and what all steps do i need to take if i can keep the same filter? Also, im assuming that i would need to have sand instead of gravel?

no. you can use the same filters you would for fresh water. you can also use gravel if you so choose. most people gravitate to a reef after they've fell in love with salt water so, i suggest using as many reef components as you can.
aragonite based sand, live rock from the ocean, etc.

Live rock also acts as a filter. And can help cycle your tank from the die off of putting it in

so since i have about a 30 gallon tank and the filter already about how much would it really cost to probably get it up and going? and how long does it take to cycle before i should add anything?

a few weeks to a month to cycle. how will you start the cycle? you will need to add an ammonia source. a raw shrimp form the market, some pure ammonia, the 25-35 pounds or so of live rock.
just like a fresh water tank, beneficial bacteria resides on surfaces of a salt tank as well. the more surface area the better your bacteria colony will be and the better your tank will process nutrients.
i would buy the rock. if you look on craigslist you should be able to find someone selling everything off and getting out of the hobby. there you may be able to purchase the rock for a dollar or two a pound.
some sand and the test kits and thermometer, refractometer...etc.
maybe a hundred dollars if you are super thrifty.

Back
Top Bottom