Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-27-2005, 04:45 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak
something that really worked for me was buying seawater from the LFS. At 22gal, it shouldn''t be to expensive, probably less that the salt mix, and you don't need to worry about filtering your fresh water.

60gal reef in progress
75lbs Live Rock
40lbs Live Rock
AquaC Remora Protein Skimmer
Marineland penguin HOB Filter
4x65w PCF

1 - Percula, 1 - Blue-Yellowtail Damsel, 3 - Green reef Chromis

Rose Annenome; Anchor Coral
john0087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 05:52 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist
This is probably the single best article I've seen on QT.

I agree with john0087 that you should be sure you have pure water going into the tank. Also one of the best things I ever purchased was a good protein skimmer. Although they may not be entirely necessary they give the aquarist a little more room for error. You can usually find some good deals on a used HOB skimmer like a CPR BakPak or a Remora.
I would get around 1-1.5lbs/gal liverock. This with the skimmer is all the filtration you need.

saltwatersmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 02:56 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
well, from what i understand a protein skimmer is out of my budget. The previous comment about the silicone absorbing copper does concern me though. So, even if i totally empty out my current tank and start over with new sand/liverock etc, the copper will still remain? if this is the case, then perhaps i should make my current aquarium the QT tank and look for another 20-30 gallon tank for my setup. I do plan on starting totally over, the tank that is running now for all intensive purposes is done. I will be changing out the carbon filtration, as well as totally cleaning both filters and the tank. Ok: this is as strait up of a question as can be asked. I have a 20 gallon empty aquarium that previously had copper in it, two filters an aquaclear 20 and a millenum 2000. I plan on buying another tank for a QT tank, and building a sump. where do i go from here? please advise.
RG5384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 09:33 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
I would replace a coppered tank if it was 55gallons and below in size.. cutting out all the silicone is a job.. but if you plan on keeping it.. I would still remove all of the silicone and replace it..
greenmaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 11:44 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic
That sounds like a good idea to use your current tank as a QT since it has contained copper, and gettin a new main tank. Using the rubermaid tub for a sump is a good, inexpensive method. I have not used the filters you are speaking of, so I cant say anything there, though.
AndyH5512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 04:43 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict
Several people use totes as sumps. They are cheap but need to be replaced after a few years of use. They get brittle. The guy that made my custom tank messed it up and had to make me a new one. Since I had to wait so long and helped him re-sell the one he sent me that was bad he made me a nice 1/2" acrylic 120gal refugium for free.
*The fact that no one understands you doesn't make you an artist.
*If guns kill people...Spoons make Michael Moore fat.
Brenden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 01:59 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to DragonForce
IMO, you should try and sell everything you have purchased. You can keep the heater, thermometer, hydrometeor, test kit, and w/e other chemicals you have. Go out and buy a 24g nano cube(for under 200 dollars it comes with great lighting and filtration system)

30 lb LR(buy some base rock to cut costs)
20 lb LS

once you get the rock, sand, and water put in, drop a shelled raw shrimp in the tank. Wait 4 weeks. Test the water for no traces of ammonia, nitrates or nitrites. Then go ahead and start adding things slowly. You should really do as much reading as you possibly can before you decide to do whatever you're going to do. IMO the nano cube setup would be most cost effective and beneficial for you. Good luck.

37 gal all glass
50lb LR
3' fine sand bed 1x Orange Stripe Prawn shrimp goby, 1x sixline wrassemated pair of true percula clowns, 1x CBS shrimp, 2x peppermint shrimp, 1x pistol shrimp, 1x tiger tale cuke, ~20+ snails, ~10+ hermits, 1xserpent star.
green Bubble coral, hammer coral (8 heads!) ,various Zoos,green finger leather, green star polpys ,shrooms
175w 10k MH
28w actinic 03
2x maxi jett 1200
Prizm skimmer (modded)
Hagen powerfilter(for running carbon 24/7)
nano arctica chiller
DragonForce is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com