Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-21-2004, 08:34 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via AIM to yeloyoshi
help noob get started...

so far i bought a 12g nano cube and i got some water and sand from the petstore to use... also i put the bottle of fluid for the water that the fishstore told me to use... i've had the filter running for 2 days now... do i need to do anything else before i put nemo in there... and also is there anything else i can put in there with the clownfish... and how many fishes can i fit in this tank?? something easy for the me so i dont kill anything... TIA

yeloyoshi

Old 08-21-2004, 08:44 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hi, welcome to the forum! You found the best place on the web for great advice. As for the tank...Saltwater tanks can be very challenging, especialy new ones. I recommend you start with a good book. You will need to wait at least four weeks for your tank to "cycle" before you can add any fish. Pick up a copy of "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" by robet Fenner. Lots to learn before you get started. You may also want to put in a few peices of live rock to jump start your cycle. Check out the "articles" section on this site for some great info on getting things started. In a 12 gal. tank you can have about two small fish max. good luck and keep askin questions...Lando

Old 08-21-2004, 08:51 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via AIM to yeloyoshi
thanks for the reply... the petstore guy never told me about this!!! he tricked me... haha... i'm glad i came across this forum first... i guess i'll wait for 4weeks before i start doing anything and i'll take a look at the book... thanks very much...
Old 08-21-2004, 08:54 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

You are very welcome! remember...petstores are in the business of making money. this site is in the business of education. there are many wonderful pet stores out there but some that have no knowledge and would rather sell you a fish before educating you on proper care. Take what they say with a grain of salt, then go home and ask all the questions you ave here. We are hear to help with no alterior motive.
Old 08-21-2004, 09:33 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

FWIW, you could add about 20 lbs cured LR from the LFS and be ready to add fish in as little as a week.

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 10:52 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to mr_tee0419
Welcome yeloyoshi! I think Nemo will probably max that nano out with the exception of some cool inverts you might could add. The general rule of thumb is 1 in. of adult fish to every 5 gal. of tank space. 12/5= 2.4... depending on which species "Nemo" you've got, he'll get at least that big. Anyway, HTH...

Tags
started

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com