Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-09-2015, 02:28 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

Oh wow. Very true I've been trying to slowly look things up every day trying to learn more and more about it all. I've been able to find a lot of great info on here so far and I got a lot of help with my fresh tank from here as well.... a lot of great info from good people on here

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 05-09-2015, 02:29 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

An fresh can be exciting, could start getting some real monsters in a 100g. Or plant it, plenty of possibilities there too

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

10g saltwater
cgthebeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 02:31 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

I've seen a lot of planted tanks but I'm not sure how all of that works either as well.... like is there special sand, lights and fish for it and gona be a lot of learning on it.... we have two small live plants in the 40g and so far they seem to be holding up pretty well but I've been noticing on my fake plants at the top they are turning a bit brown

Old 05-09-2015, 02:31 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txredneck29 View Post
Oh wow. Very true I've been trying to slowly look things up every day trying to learn more and more about it all. I've been able to find a lot of great info on here so far and I got a lot of help with my fresh tank from here as well.... a lot of great info from good people on here

We try, I Believe a lot of people really love this hobby an just want to try to help an show people how fish are actually animals, not just end table decorations in a glass bowl. That's why I've stayed in this forum.

10g saltwater
Old 05-09-2015, 02:34 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

My better half will sit in front of our tank for a good while just watching them swim around d she loves it and all the colors in ours we have just fell in love with it and I want to do something g exciting with the 100 gal also thought about having fresh but making it seem like it's salt as well

Old 05-09-2015, 02:34 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I've seen a lot of planted tanks but I'm not sure how all of that works either as well.... like is there special sand, lights and fish for it and gona be a lot of learning on it.... we have two small live plants in the 40g and so far they seem to be holding up pretty well but I've been noticing on my fake plants at the top they are turning a bit brown

Alage, prob a type of ditotomic. In planted, you can buy special substrate, use root tabs, or just with low care plants such as Anubis. Lighting is also important, but much cheaper then reef lighting (believe me, my upgraded lighting is costing me my arm) an almost all fish like live plants, some like to eat them though so watch out for that.

10g saltwater
Old 05-09-2015, 02:36 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
My better half will sit in front of our tank for a good while just watching them swim around d she loves it and all the colors in ours we have just fell in love with it and I want to do something g exciting with the 100 gal also thought about having fresh but making it seem like it's salt as well

Read up a bit on African cichlids. They are color like saltwater fish but are fresh. Thy do require harder water an if you decide to stock them, then don't mix lakes or any other fish like s.a. Cichlids with them. Only certain types o catfish can live with them but cichlids are pretty rewarding

10g saltwater
Old 05-09-2015, 03:06 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would use the 100g as saltwater fish only tank then use the 40g as sump.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 05-09-2015, 08:45 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Regular

One of the biggest helps for me (aside from coming here, of course) was joining a local aquarium society. I have met tons of hobbyists and professionals, with all types of interests and experience levels, and we are all just a little bit nuts.

As an added bonus, my annual membership ($35) gets me discounts at all the LFSs, access to auctions and sales within the society, and most helpful, someone who is local and cal actually offer hands on assistance if I need it.

Just my $0.02...

Allison
Freshwater fish-head for more than 20 years now, but salt water newbie.
Old 05-09-2015, 11:12 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RnBMum View Post
One of the biggest helps for me (aside from coming here, of course) was joining a local aquarium society. I have met tons of hobbyists and professionals, with all types of interests and experience levels, and we are all just a little bit nuts.

As an added bonus, my annual membership ($35) gets me discounts at all the LFSs, access to auctions and sales within the society, and most helpful, someone who is local and cal actually offer hands on assistance if I need it.

Just my $0.02...

Allison
Freshwater fish-head for more than 20 years now, but salt water newbie.
hmm i need to look around in my area for this very thing see if i cant find some locals as well,

Tags
question, questions, noob

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com