Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-09-2015, 01:12 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

HELP noob questions

Ok so a while back I started with a small 10gal glofish tank from petsmart didn't tank long to get an addiction. About 2 Months later a friend of mine was getting rid of a 40gal tank so I was able to get my hands on it and now have had it up and running for about 4 months with no issues. But it's a fresh water of course. And just yesterday I had a friend getting rid of a 100gal bow front tank. So I now have it with nothing in it at the moment. Another buddy of mine who is very knowledgeable about tanks said a saltwater tank is not only expensive as heck and high maintenance but also not someone that's a complete novice. Said it's best to do a 40gal type tank over a 100gal.

So in all this what can yall tell me is it really expensive and high maintenence to do so is it something a novice can do? Of course after seeing some of these builds with live coral I'm just in amazement of beauty but I don't Wana get myself into something I can't do

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 05-09-2015, 01:58 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

HELP noon questions

Well i think it really comes down to what type of setup you really want. If you want to do a reef then it's gonna be a pretty penny, the most expensive items are lighting, an rodi unit( it's a literal super filtration system, highly need it for a reef or any saltwater IMHO) and a skimmer. Rember you get what you pay for in this hobby. But you can also save money by waiting on deals.
Anyway i think if your really devoted to doing everything needed to run a saltwater aquarium then even a novice can do it.

Alright first thing first: what type of system do I want
A fowlr- a fish only with live rock (I recommend this if you want to do a reef tank later.) this is where no coral is involved at all. It's a pretty good way to mature your tank while saving up for those expensive lights that reefs need
Next; fish only- only fish literally an dry rock if that
Reef: everything an coral basically

Alright, once that's done start researching researching and researching. Plan everything out. Also the bigger the better but a lot of the bigger fish are not reef Safe so keep that in mind when you eventually stock.

I currently run a 10g Nano reef that's been very successful an i trying to upgrade it for my b-day (apparently setting up a new 10g FW is not allowed but getting a 4ft tank is haha) ok anyway, you have to be pretty strict in all saltwater water changes. A day either way is not the end of the world but you can't let it go the whole month without it.
I also run a HoB an plan to do the same thing in my 55 until I'm ready for my sump next summer. I use a 20g aquaclear that I rinse the media with tank water weekly. Always rinse the media or things will start living in it that you don't won't it to

Power heads, you need them. Wave makers are great but one of the objects you can upgrade to when your wallet recovers from the cost of everything else.

A good quality heater, plain an simple, no fish stew

Next substrate and live rock is also needed. I always go with live sand so you already have that bacteria in it help stabilize the tank. Now some live rock is needed but not all of it. Dry rock will become live overtime an you can save some cash by buying bulk dry rock from eBay an such

One more question, do you want a deep sand bed, a shallow sand bed, or a bare bottom.

I prefer a shallow has it keeps pockets of gas from forming as quick and looks more natural

Buy a good test kit, it's your life lien

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

10g saltwater
cgthebeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 02:04 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Well that's what's hard for me on maintenance some times because the work I do I'm gone 22 days at a time and home for 20 so my frech water 40 gal I have now I run a marineland penguin 350 HOB and a Fluval 306 canister filter and it seems to do a great job I have 2 sets of lights on it one is a full fennix 36 " actinic led light and the other is a 36" fennix actinic/daylight light. Only Ave a few fish in it 2 siamese alge eaters 1 Chinese alge eater 6 glofish and 5 guppies. Tank seems to stay pretty clean and I do water changes when I'm home. But would be worries about doing a salt tank if it requiem weekly maintenence.

Old 05-09-2015, 02:17 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

HELP noon questions

See that's why the saying "the bigger the better" comes in to tanks i have to do weekly water changes as my tank is so small, it's no bother cause of my schedule. if you go with re 100, keep it on the lightly side of stocking and run double to triple the filtration, then it should be fine. But to be on the safe side, a auto top off would be needed for a crazy schedule a well with fish that easily take prepaired food as you can load an program a high quality autofeeder.

10g saltwater
Old 05-09-2015, 02:18 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would do a sump also just to make sure it can have the optimal filtration

10g saltwater
Old 05-09-2015, 02:19 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

I was thinking about running two of the marineland penguin 350 HOB filters and A Fluval fx6 filter on the 100gal but that's when I was still on the mind set of just staying fresh water.... was told can never really have to much filtration and with that setup would be waaaaannt more than enough filtering I would imagine lol

Old 05-09-2015, 02:21 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

I've been trying to read up on all the sump stuff and all the other types of filtration. But it's way beyond my knowledge level I guess I'm just not understanding it all I need to go by my buddy's and see his setup

Old 05-09-2015, 02:24 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Canisters can be awesome but on a saltwater tank they can become nitrate traps

10g saltwater
Old 05-09-2015, 02:25 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Hmm good to know. Never knew that. I may end up having to stick with a fresh setup just for the ease of it... my better half is home even when I'm gone for the 3 weeks but I'd like to keep it simple for her as well haha. She does a great job on our 40 gal setup

Old 05-09-2015, 02:26 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah it takes awhile, going salty is something that shouldn't be a light decision, but you also don't have to learn about it over night either. Take your time, read an research, plan it out, trust me filtration is insane. Once of the oldest still working reef tank uses a under gavel filter.

10g saltwater

Tags
question, questions, noob

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com