Help picking external skimmer under $380

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bjj_junkie

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello everybody!.. well this is my first thread and i feel alittle annoying asking what so many others ask but i have some questions on particular models and just general questions on external skimmers that i cant find the answer to anywhere on the web. i would really like to order my skimmer by today so thats why i came on here for help.

Ok, lets start!.. my main reason to do external is because i have a lot of room behind the aquarium due to my oddly shaped room and i would much rather have it outside the sump for maintenance reasons. my general external skimmer question is, do they have to be placed above the sump water level?

I was originally looking at the Octopus DNWB 110 but i read not so great things about it and i would really not like to regret my purchase. the price on it is about what i wanna spend but if i need to spend alittle more then i would

Then i came across the Precision Marine Bullet 1 which is right at the very max amount of money im looking to spend but ive only read great things about it. i do understand its a different "type" of skimmer being a spray injection skimmer (which i dont know what the differnce is) but i do know its external and thats what im looking for. a question about this particular skimmer thats got me scratching my head is why do the websites that sell it suggest such a massive pump to feed it like a mag 12?!... am i understanding wrong and do they mean a general system powerhead or do they really mean that the skimmer needs a mag 12 to run which i dont understand since its not a very big skimmer...

Well that will be all for now, i dont wanna make this too long cause then you guys wont wanna read it but thanks for your time and im looking forward to your replies ^_^

PS: feel free to recommend any skimmer you might think would be good for me.

PPS: in case it doesnt show, i need the skimmer for a 60gal plus 20 gal sump

All the skimmers I've seen don't need to be entirely above water level, but the water outlet generally does need to be above water level. Otherwise, I think there is too much back pressure and it goofs up the water level in the skimmer body.

i have a Aqua C that I use in sump, but I know can be used remotely. Even in sump, I made a little stand to get the outlet above the water level in the sump.

Im gonna look into that skimmer, thanks. its 50 bucks cheaper than the pm and seems just as good. can you tell me the benefits of spray injection and do you have any idea why they require such powerful feed pumps?

The way this skimmer works could best be described by comparing it to a garden hose being on full blast just above the surface of the water. It pulls air just from the water going by the air inlet under a lot of pressure. Since the air doesn't enter the pump at all, it seems to be a little quieter than a needle wheel. The skimmers aren't as tall for a comparable size, but they have a bigger footprint. They require the big pumps in order to create sufficient pressure to pull a large volume of air. They can be a little difficult to tune, as there is a sweet spot for the air injector that is easy to miss. Too much air, and the collection cup overflows. Too little, and there's no foam. You can compensate for the latter by restricting the water flow through the skimmer with the gate valve, but I leave that wide open on mine. They do make some noise where the water comes out of the skimmer, but you can dampen that with an elbow, or setting the outlet just above the sump water level.

Thank you, im really leaning towards the AquaC EV-120 with a Mag 5 now. do you think that would be enough for my system? i notice a lot of people go bigger than suggested

The manufacturer rates it for a 120, and that's what I have on my 75, so I think it would be AOK on your tank. ;)

Back
Top Bottom