Help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cjbaker

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just put my salt in my tank for the first time and the hydrometer says 1.017. Does this mean I've over done it or do I need to add more to get it to around 1.020 - 1.023 ?

Thanks

If you're doing fish only you can do 1.020. If you plan to have snails and other invertebrates they need to have 1.023-1.026. Don't forget to measure it/make adjustments only after you are at your targeted temperature (about 76 degrees) because it can go up after the temp goes up.

Have you checked your hydrometer over a refractometer? I got a hydrometer in a door gift bag and it was very different than what my refractometer read. Keeping your SG below 1.023 can cause problems with the fish over all health usually kidney disease.

I may be wrong but from your post it appears you mixed the water and salt in the tank. If you have nothing else in the tank that is fine but, going forward, I would mix it in a good clean bucket then put it in the tank.

Yes I mixed it in the tank with it been empty. Does everyone recommend mixing it for a few day when it comes to a 10% water change in the future ? Does it take that long to dissolve properly.

Thanks to the new replies also. I've asked questions on another site and had no replies so I'm very grateful to you all.

I just want to make sure every step I take is done correctly as this is all new to me.

Thanks

Chris

I mix mine overnight then in the morning check both the tank and they change water before starting to change water. Some are able to mix an hour or a few hours because the size of pump they are using. I just want to make sure it is totally mixed.

cjbaker said:
Yes I mixed it in the tank with it been empty. Does everyone recommend mixing it for a few day when it comes to a 10% water change in the future ? Does it take that long to dissolve properly.

Thanks to the new replies also. I've asked questions on another site and had no replies so I'm very grateful to you all.

I just want to make sure every step I take is done correctly as this is all new to me.

Thanks

Chris

I mix mine 1-2 days in advance. Also have a pump going in the bucket that keeps the water moving and mixed constantly so the water doesn't go bad. It's takes a while for water and salt to mix: add salt, test the level, add some more, test again etc... You can't do it in just a few minutes. Also the pH needs to stabilize, therefore mix it with pump for 1-2 days... Don't forget the heater ;)

Since you have nothing in your tank at the moment, and adding premixed water would mean removing some of what is in the tank, I would fine tune by just adding a little salt at a time directly to the tank. Once you get to the right specific gravity though, I would always mix it a head of time in a separate container.

Back
Top Bottom