HELP PLEASE!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rgmatzke

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am having a problem with High ALK. I started my tank up 8 weeks ago and have never been able to get it down. I use RO and Red SEA Salt. I just did a water change this morning and I tested the water before adding to the tank. Come to find out the ALK is High before I even add it to the tank. Does anyone know why it is high and how to fix the problem?

It is OK, my water is high also...Not to worry. you want a pretty high alk content anyway to have good buffering capability...How is your Ph?

BTW, what test kit are you using?

Here are some recommended parameters for a Saltwater Aquarium... These can vary depending on what each person feels is best for their tak, however, these are somewhat standard.

Phospates (PO4-3)<.05 mg/l
Nitrate (NO3-)<20 mg/L
Nitrite -None
Ammonia-None
Alkalinity 2.0- 5.0 meq/l
PH 8.2 to 8.4
Calcium (Ca+2) 375-475 mg/l
Strontium (Sr+2) 8.0 mg/l
Iodide (I-) .6 mg/l

PH is 8.2 and I use Hagen test kit. Beginning to think that I don't like this kit. What do I use to get my Calcium up to that level, it is at 220 right now.

You will have to supplement using Kalkwasser or, You can buy ready made additives, RedSea makes Calcium supplement to add to the tank weekly that will raise the calcium...Check out OceansBlend.com....I use this stuff an it is very low maint. and the parameters are good all of the time...even after water changes..because it is a constant additive... I got the 2 gal setup with the pumps for $37... It will last me a year or so for $37. I have a 55 gal and I only use 15ml per day... easy maint for killer water quality. I do water changes 1 time per month at 15 gal.

Do you have a link to what setup you use, it sounds very similar to what I have. Thank you so much for your time.

I drip kalk daily to maintain my calcium and alkinity levels.

You dont have to spend tons of $$ on Kalkwasser from the LFS. If you live out in the boonies you might be able to find Pickling Lime at your grocery store. If so you can usualy get it for less than $2/lb.

I use a 1 heaping tsp of pickling lime to 1 gal of RO water. Shake and let sit for 8 hours or more. Then i use an airline tube to drip this into my tank.

To adjust your waterchange water (before you put it in the tank) add calcium chloride, this will increase the CA and will deplete the ALK. I would recommend you do this to your WC water and begin a series of 20% water changes. Every week until the CA and ALK are balanced and then begin supplamenting with a balanced solution like Kalk or B-ionic.

Where do you get calcium chloride (if it is a non-LFS source)?

I use Kent Turbo Calcium, which is dry calcium chloride. Your chemest friend may be able to get you some cheap :wink: Most LFS or online vendors should carry someones brand of calcium chloride.

Back
Top Bottom