Help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jhinkle465

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So three weeks ago I decided I wanted to do a salt water tank it’s a 75 gallon tank I bought 40 lbs of live sand and added my salt water I let that go for a week then I added 40 lbs of dry live rock that stuff that is human made and it’s been in there for almost two weeks I have two damsels in there I added them with the rock them my buddy had a clown fish and a coholate star fish he didn’t want so I put them in as well but I can’t get my ammonia levels to go down they have been at an 8 since I first started and my ph is about an 8.4 I don’t care about the clown or the starfish what should I do to get my levels down I have a power head in it I feed them every other day a couple flakes that’s it I did a 50 percent water change 4 days ago and a 30 percent change yesterday my temp is right about 71 plus the guy at the fish store told me to add some start smart complete root with I did my salt is at 1.024

Basically you set up a tank and didn’t cycle it. That’s why the ammonia levels won’t go down.
You’ll have to do continued water changes until they are 0. Even then this will be a daily thing until a bacteria base is established in your rock, basically doing a fish in cycle.

So my ammonia levels r at zero for the last two days my ph is at 8.4 I have been doing 5 gallon water changes everyday should I keep doing the water changes

Back
Top Bottom