Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-22-2003, 03:33 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Help I need advice. I was going to get a tidepool III filtration system for my aquarium but it just won't fit in my 75 gal. stand. What I'm hoping to get acomplished this weekend is replacing my cc with a DSB and finding out what is going on with my skimmer. I dont have enough LR yet to fully function for filtration but I am hoping to fix that soon. I want something that will fit under the tank and hold my equipment including a skimmer upgrade(most likely needed). I have been limping along with my imperfect system long enough and I really want to take care of my critters to the best of my ability. I have too many herbivores for any kind of plant growth. I have 4 perc clowns, 1 flame angel, 1 yellow tang, 1 lipstick tang, and 1 mand. goby, an unknown amount of live rock ( where can I get about 100# of good live rock?) My LFS knows less then I do so I have nowhere to go for face to face advise. I have a 10 gal freshwater I could scrap if I need to but then I'm going to want to get my 29 gal going again ( I can resist, I can resist....think if I keep telling my self that I will believe it ?? ) TIA -Chris-

Before all else fails read the instructions!
But if nothing else hang on to them, you'll want them later
christopherkath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 04:16 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
Hmmm, here is what I would do.

1. get the largest glass tank that will fit under your stand (30g pops to mind).
2. make a DIY wet/dry using a 5g bucket (Check >>here<< for instructions)
3) put the DIY trickle filter in the sump tank.

Basically your using a 5g bucket to create a trickle tower for your sump, you can raise the bucket off the bottom ot the tank using a PVC frame

I just don't see the point of spending a bunch of money on a prefab trickle filter when your going to be removing it lare (after you get enough rock).

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 04:56 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus
I deffinitly second Kevin's advice.
Acronyms and Abbreviations
BillyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 07:15 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via MSN to alrmc4
the largest tank that will fit in the stand is a 30 gal long that is what we used for our 75.
like pictures? visit
alrmc4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com