Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-11-2011, 01:06 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

I think you are fine bud. As long as bubbles don't make it back to the display

Old 10-11-2011, 01:08 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

And yes mine still foams a little. And the comment up a bit about confined space is true. Bubbles in fuge are beneficial to aquarium oxygen level. Good luck from here. Let's see some full pics

Old 10-11-2011, 04:12 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveM View Post
And yes mine still foams a little. And the comment up a bit about confined space is true. Bubbles in fuge are beneficial to aquarium oxygen level. Good luck from here. Let's see some full pics
Please see my albums for the pics I've posted. I think those will be what you are seeking. More pics forthcoming after I've installed a DIY top-off - I'm expecting the balance of components via UPS this week.

And, there is this youtue video of the foaming action prior to the first top off. Water at "normal" fill line: Mysterious Foam In Filter Sock - YouTube

Thanks!
Old 10-12-2011, 07:51 AM   #14
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
It's probably the same foam you would get from a protein skimmer. You have air and water mixing in a small area and creating the foam. If your water level was lower in the sump you probably wouldn't see the foam make it over the top of the filter sock.
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:10 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccCapt View Post
It's probably the same foam you would get from a protein skimmer. You have air and water mixing in a small area and creating the foam. If your water level was lower in the sump you probably wouldn't see the foam make it over the top of the filter sock.
After getting over my initial panic (..."how did soap get in there!"...which it hadn't...) that's exactly what I was thinking (see my original post, "...it appears like what I would expect from a protein skimmer ...") but needed to be sure I wasn't rationalizing an explanation. Very happy you weighed in.

So, at what point does this become an issue? Or does it? And, maybe this is a stretch but can a simple DIY be employed to capitalize on the benefit of what's taking place with the drain?
Old 10-12-2011, 02:55 PM   #16
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
It will probably never be an issue since your not adding anythng thats not already there. Being that you are cycling there is probably a high amount of nutrients in the water which is why you see the foam. It will probably go away once the tank is cycled and the nutrient level drops.
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 04:35 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccCapt View Post
It will probably never be an issue since your not adding anythng thats not already there. Being that you are cycling there is probably a high amount of nutrients in the water which is why you see the foam. It will probably go away once the tank is cycled and the nutrient level drops.
Ok.

I meant to be asking (but inadvertently omitted a word), if it was feasible to turn that drain into a DIY protein skimmer down-the-road - one that is effective? Seems a waste not to make use out of it somehow.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:48 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm not sure of the engineering, but I have seen "downdraft" skimmers that utilized this kind of action. As I recall, they were pretty big (like 3-4 feet tall) and on a centralized system in a LFS. (Maybe one skimmer for 4 125 gallon tanks.)
Old 10-12-2011, 05:07 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutrag View Post
I'm not sure of the engineering, but I have seen "downdraft" skimmers that utilized this kind of action. As I recall, they were pretty big (like 3-4 feet tall) and on a centralized system in a LFS. (Maybe one skimmer for 4 125 gallon tanks.)
Sounds like a beast at that height. This would be useful for me, if practical at a much smaller height... inside the cabinet, I have about 2' from bottom of sump to ceiling height. But the custom cabinet is wider than the tank with an opening for the drain and return pipes albeit offset by about 20 degrees.

I wonder if this is worth a new thread for discussion. Meanwhile, I'll do some web searching (after I build my ATO, which I hope to have completed tonight) to see what's on the market.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:46 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here's a link to a design for a downdraft. I make to claims as to how well it will work or anything. I am not the author.

http://w3page.com/fishline/gif/ddskimpz.jpg

Tags
cycling, filter, foam, oto, photos

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com