Help Please With Cycling Questions Foam In Filter Sock See Photos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarryS

Aquarium Advice Activist
Started cycling my 65g on 10/4 (last Tuesday), so today is Day 6.

Sometime this morning I noticed a "mystery" foam appearing in the filter sock that captures the water from the tank return into the sum (see 2 still photos): looks just like soap suds. BUT, nothing was washed or rinsed in soap.

I removed the sock and rinsed in tap water followed by a RO/DI rinse (I'm waiting for socks to arrive or would have used a new one). During the rinse, nothing seem abnormal. Placed the sock back on the return line and the foaming action continued.

To me (through novice eyes) it appears like what I would expect from a protein skimmer (based on the numerous videos I've seen).

The greenish tint shows up more in the photos but water is slightly green tinted - I assume an algae bloom starting.

Anyone?

Here are the numbers I've tested today - same as yesterday, save that the nitrates are showing an increase:

Salinity (with refractometer): 1.026
pH: 8.0
Ammonia: 1 ppm
Nitrite: 2 ppm
Nitrate: 10 ppm

Thanks!:thanks:

Attachments

• IMG-20111009-00176.jpg
    IMG-20111009-00176.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG-20111009-00177.jpg
    IMG-20111009-00177.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 172
Looks like you may just have a clogged filter sock and all the air from your overflow is coming out of the top. Air always rises and depending on the flow rate of your tank air can turn to foam rather quickly. My 125 gallon does the same thing but I yanked the socks out after cycle was complete so it didn't turn into a nitrate factory

Also your water level looks really high in your sump. Do you have other protection in case of power outage

Looks like you may just have a clogged filter sock and all the air from your overflow is coming out of the top. Air always rises and depending on the flow rate of your tank air can turn to foam rather quickly. My 125 gallon does the same thing but I yanked the socks out after cycle was complete so it didn't turn into a nitrate factory

Actually, not. The sock is not clogged. This was verified today when I received my supply of socks. Same thing with a new sock.

So, with your 125 the problem of bubbly foam went away when you did away with socks?

Also your water level looks really high in your sump. Do you have other protection in case of power outage

Yes. I intentionally overfilled a small amount. I discovered that the refractometer was not properly calibrated when I filled the tank but the small error was not discovered until after topping of the tank with RO/DI the day of the photo. To bring the salinity up, I added a small amount of premixed saltwater. I will be siphoning water off when the salinity reaches exactly 1.026. Most likely by tomorrow morning as it is nearly exact now and the evaporation rate at this time is fairly slow.

Meanwhile, there is a check valve on the return. Being new, it's still reliable and the power-off/on tests I've run confirm enough margin of safety at the level in the photo.

Good call BTW! :)

LarryS said:
I'm still not clear if the foam is an issue.

They seem to dissipate quickly from the photo.I think the foam is just from your water falling into the confined space of the sock.It does give you good oxygen exchange.I wouldn't worry about it.

They seem to dissipate quickly from the photo.I think the foam is just from your water falling into the confined space of the sock.It does give you good oxygen exchange.I wouldn't worry about it.

But something is causing the foam to have started appearing now. I've run numerous plumbing tests, etc. prior to installing the rock and filling with saltwater and never had it.

The fact that is is happening a few days after.. and in the cycle process must tell us something.... even if it is benign.

No?

LarryS said:
But something is causing the foam to have started appearing now. I've run numerous plumbing tests, etc. prior to installing the rock and filling with saltwater and never had it.

The fact that is is happening a few days after.. and in the cycle process must tell us something.... even if it is benign.

No?

When I had my 46 gallon with HOB filter I would get the the same thing.Still don't think it is a problem.

I think you are fine bud. As long as bubbles don't make it back to the display

And yes mine still foams a little. And the comment up a bit about confined space is true. Bubbles in fuge are beneficial to aquarium oxygen level. Good luck from here. Let's see some full pics

And yes mine still foams a little. And the comment up a bit about confined space is true. Bubbles in fuge are beneficial to aquarium oxygen level. Good luck from here. Let's see some full pics

Please see my albums for the pics I've posted. I think those will be what you are seeking. More pics forthcoming after I've installed a DIY top-off - I'm expecting the balance of components via UPS this week.

And, there is this youtue video of the foaming action prior to the first top off. Water at "normal" fill line: Mysterious Foam In Filter Sock - YouTube

Thanks! :)

Last edited:
It's probably the same foam you would get from a protein skimmer. You have air and water mixing in a small area and creating the foam. If your water level was lower in the sump you probably wouldn't see the foam make it over the top of the filter sock.

It's probably the same foam you would get from a protein skimmer. You have air and water mixing in a small area and creating the foam. If your water level was lower in the sump you probably wouldn't see the foam make it over the top of the filter sock.

After getting over my initial panic (..."how did soap get in there!"...which it hadn't...) that's exactly what I was thinking (see my original post, "...it appears like what I would expect from a protein skimmer ...") but needed to be sure I wasn't rationalizing an explanation. Very happy you weighed in.

So, at what point does this become an issue? Or does it? And, maybe this is a stretch but can a simple DIY be employed to capitalize on the benefit of what's taking place with the drain? :thanks:

It will probably never be an issue since your not adding anythng thats not already there. Being that you are cycling there is probably a high amount of nutrients in the water which is why you see the foam. It will probably go away once the tank is cycled and the nutrient level drops.

It will probably never be an issue since your not adding anythng thats not already there. Being that you are cycling there is probably a high amount of nutrients in the water which is why you see the foam. It will probably go away once the tank is cycled and the nutrient level drops.

Ok. :)

I meant to be asking (but inadvertently omitted a word), if it was feasible to turn that drain into a DIY protein skimmer down-the-road - one that is effective? Seems a waste not to make use out of it somehow.

I'm not sure of the engineering, but I have seen "downdraft" skimmers that utilized this kind of action. As I recall, they were pretty big (like 3-4 feet tall) and on a centralized system in a LFS. (Maybe one skimmer for 4 125 gallon tanks.)

I'm not sure of the engineering, but I have seen "downdraft" skimmers that utilized this kind of action. As I recall, they were pretty big (like 3-4 feet tall) and on a centralized system in a LFS. (Maybe one skimmer for 4 125 gallon tanks.)

Sounds like a beast at that height. This would be useful for me, if practical at a much smaller height... inside the cabinet, I have about 2' from bottom of sump to ceiling height. But the custom cabinet is wider than the tank with an opening for the drain and return pipes albeit offset by about 20 degrees.

I wonder if this is worth a new thread for discussion. Meanwhile, I'll do some web searching (after I build my ATO, which I hope to have completed tonight) to see what's on the market.

Back
Top Bottom