help plz

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bootz

Aquarium Advice Freak
so for 2 straight days my nitrite was at 0 and nitrates were low but now my nitrite spiked up? Could my testing kit be wrong i just don't understand how my nitrite could spike up

i just added my 2 fish clowns the other day because the conditions of my tank were acceptable and ready. and now with their presence my tank seems out of whack i think i need to take them out

yes i finished cycling this past weekend. (started early feb). i had all the proper accepted levels. ammonia 0 , nitrite-0 , nitrate was somewhere between 10-20. and now with 2 little false perculas my tank's nitrites spiked up. The little guys seem ok they are just swimming around next to one of the rocks, but this spike has me worried alot.

Did you see the ammonia and nitrites rise and then go back to 0. Just do PWC`s and you should see the nitrites lower.

ok thanks im do a PWC right now i gotta run to the store to buy some distilled water.

I dunno.. 2 is a pretty big number. Are you dosing with Prime or an equiv to detox the nitrite? If not, you should be.. asap. Nitrite is much more lethal than ammonia

Not sure that doing a PWC with fresh made SW is the best thing either. IMO, I'd detox and change in the am (est)

well after water no significant results there are still traces of nitrite is it possible that when i introduced my fish another cycle happened?

Ahab I'm confused, everything i've read has said ammonia is the worst for fish then nitrites, nitrates are acceptable in small doses. But ive never read anything stating nitrites are worse than ammonia, so if you could point me in the direction of this info i would like to read more about it.

kurtyboh

'Nitrite is letal at much lower levels than ammonia. Therefore it is critical to continue daily testing and treatment until the nitrite falls to zero.'

and even that depends on a variety of factors including o2 levels, temp, ph to name a few and is more toxic to FW species than SW

Fish Disease - Nitrite Poisoning

one of many...............

Last edited:
So basically if i get this right long term (as in more than a couple of days low level nitrite worse thatn short term high level ammonia. Good to know thanks!

kurtyboh

Back
Top Bottom