Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-19-2006, 05:11 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

fighting ich right now isn't gonna be fun. warmer water is going to lower oxygen levels, the nitrite makes using oxygen harder for fish, and it makes ammonia more toxic, so if another spike occur'd you might lose fish.

best of luck...and I hope other newcomers can use this as an example of why fishless cycling is easy and practically foolproof.

Old 08-02-2006, 07:08 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Hi Guys,

Just a report back and a big thank you!

Finally completed cycling. Lost 1 cory and 3 tetras, oh and 1 zebra Danio which found its way into the syphon pipe unnoticed!. Nitrites down to .2 and stable, ammonia 0 and Nitrates low but escalating v.slowly. PH is rather high but will manage slowly.

Warning to newbies - Cycling with fish is hard work and high risk. I estimate I was spending 2 hours a day on water changes for around two weeks, if I include preheating and treating the top-up water!

Big thank you to all the advice I received on this site!

Fodder

Old 08-02-2006, 07:40 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkore
fighting ich right now isn't gonna be fun. warmer water is going to lower oxygen levels, the nitrite makes using oxygen harder for fish, and it makes ammonia more toxic, so if another spike occur'd you might lose fish.

best of luck...and I hope other newcomers can use this as an example of why fishless cycling is easy and practically foolproof.

Hm...I made a post about my new tank. I am about to start my nitrogen cycle, should I not use fish?

Im glad your tank is back in control!

By the way, what is cycling?
Old 08-02-2006, 07:43 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

now for the fun part. Enjoy
Old 08-02-2006, 12:01 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Cypilk
Hm...I made a post about my new tank. I am about to start my nitrogen cycle, should I not use fish? By the way, what is cycling?
Hi Cypilk - Cycling means getting your nitrogen cycle established. I sent you a Private Message on Cycling without fish. If you have any questions start a new post and your questions shall be answered

Tags
cycling, rio

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com