Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-27-2009, 12:16 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to divedeep1689
well the reef salt for a marine aquarium has lots of extra nutrients i dont know about any other salts

special thanks to melosu58 , roka , thincat,CaptainAhab (and many more who i will list later as i find thier names so i can spell them lol ) for i would not have the tank or the knowledge i have about my tank if not for them.
divedeep1689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 01:02 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgamer20o0 View Post
i didnt see anyone point out that aquarium salt is just normal salt no reason to spend so much on it.
You probably didn't see anyone point that out because it's not true - at least for marine salt mixes which is what I think we're talking about here?

Old 05-27-2009, 02:02 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Still no solid answer in how much salt to put in a 2 gallon tank for Sea Monkeys

Note: Sea Monkeys don't live in ocean but salty lakes 3 times more salty than regular ocean.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:32 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_Nelson View Post
You probably didn't see anyone point that out because it's not true - at least for marine salt mixes which is what I think we're talking about here?
well he linked to aquarium salt and not a salt water mix.

salt doesnt turn water into a salt water tank.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:42 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Exclamation

Quote:
well he linked to aquarium salt and not a salt water mix.

salt doesnt turn water into a salt water tank.
This is interesting....

So the salt rocks I got does not turn the water in to salty water? Then what is it for?

Salt water mix? Can you please provide a link?

What should I use?
Old 05-27-2009, 03:01 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

its just NaCl.... basic table salt. its used for making them money.... put the word aquarium on it and up the price.... i only use it for treating ich. thats about it. other add it to their tank thinking it does something....

instant ocean is one of them.... i am not a salt water person there are plenty of others.....

Old 05-27-2009, 09:11 AM   #17
Thanx but no.....

Quote:
i didnt see anyone point out that aquarium salt is just normal salt no reason to spend so much on it.
Most freshwater aquarium salt is made from evaporated sea water or is synthetic. It contains no artificial additives, sugar, or artificial colors. Other labels exist such as lake salt, brackish salt etc that contain other additives. Studies have shown that table salt does not do any appreciable harm in the aquarium (although the arguments continue). Iodized (sp?) or non-iodized and some anti-caking agents that are added to table salt.

Marine salt contains additives to ensure that trace and bio elements, calcium, vitamins among others are in the proper proportion to replicate marine conditions in the sea. Most, if not all, of these are synthetic to ensure that the buyer only gets what is on the box. No phosphates, nitrates, etc. Aquarium salt can not make that claim.

How to Raise Brine Shrimp

As far as now much salt to add to get a required specific gravity that you keep asking, you need to read the instructions and get a device to measure specific gravity. That or buy your water from some place that has it pre-mixed to the SG you want.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:03 PM   #18
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I`ve been told that Marine salt mixes have over 89 different salts in the mix. As the captain said it`s for the different trace elements found in ocean water.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2 gallon, bowl, brine shrimp, fish bowl, sea, sea monkeys, starting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com