Help starting 2 Gallon fish Bowl of Sea Monkeys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

calculon64

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone

This is my first post in this community. I bought a sea monkey kit and is working great. A week later I decided to grow more sea monkeys but this time in a big fish bowl (without the fish) I do this not for fish feeding but just to watch them swim around.

The problem I'm having is that I am not sure how much salt to put in a 2 gallon fish bowl. I try doing some Google research but there are some terminology I don't understand.

The Aquarium Salt the guy at my local pet shop recomended was this API™ Aquarium Salt 16 oz.

Can someone experience do the research (math) and tell me how much salt I should apply?

Thank you all for your time.

I ALREADY KNOW SEA MONKEYS ARE BRINE SHRIMP BUT I LIKE TO CALL THEM SEA MONKEYS BECAUSE IT SOUND MORE FUN AND INTERESTING.

If you want to match the salinity of sea water I would go for 1.024. I use 1/2 cup of salt per gallon of water, check the salt mix for the correct amount it should be listed on the box.

If you want to match the salinity of sea water I would go for 1.024. I use 1/2 cup of salt per gallon of water, check the salt mix for the correct amount it should be listed on the box.

Is my understanding that Sea Monkeys live in lakes with 3 times the amount of salt found in sea waters (ocean)

I really don't know, but I have grown them in tap water before as a kid and they seemed happy enough :eek:

I know at Petsmart they have brine shrimp kits. They should tell you if you take a peak at the back of the kit.

Brine shrimp will survive in our regular tanks. I agree with Mike, read the package. Your best bet would be to pre mix the water and get it to the salinity of your tank and then add the water.

i have a book by joyce d wilkerson called clownfishes in the book it tells you how to hatch brine shrimp ( sea monkeys) it says you need a specific gravity (salt level) of 1.010 to 1.020 good areation between 65 and 90f degrees ph of 7.5 to 8.5 and constant illumanation to hatch brine i have hatched and raised brine in a 5 gallon tank feeding them yeast every few days they breed at a very fast rate if i may add but i got all my information from that book but i dont know how many cups to the gallon you should add of salt sorry not good with math at all

Wow, I didn't know that, thanks for the info dive!

no problem yea this book has been very helpful to me brine shrimp ,rotifier anenome choice and even showed me how to make a home made brine shrimp hatchery from a 2 litter bottle lol which i now do before i put my brine in the 5 gal tank which if i had not ignored the tank for a month i would still have with tons of live adult and baby brine

i didnt see anyone point out that aquarium salt is just normal salt no reason to spend so much on it.

Still no solid answer in how much salt to put in a 2 gallon tank for Sea Monkeys

Note: Sea Monkeys don't live in ocean but salty lakes 3 times more salty than regular ocean.

You probably didn't see anyone point that out because it's not true - at least for marine salt mixes which is what I think we're talking about here?
well he linked to aquarium salt and not a salt water mix.

salt doesnt turn water into a salt water tank.

well he linked to aquarium salt and not a salt water mix.

salt doesnt turn water into a salt water tank.

This is interesting....

So the salt rocks I got does not turn the water in to salty water? Then what is it for?

Salt water mix? Can you please provide a link?

What should I use?

its just NaCl.... basic table salt. its used for making them money.... put the word aquarium on it and up the price.... i only use it for treating ich. thats about it. other add it to their tank thinking it does something....

instant ocean is one of them.... i am not a salt water person there are plenty of others.....

instant_ocean_sea_salt.jpg

i didnt see anyone point out that aquarium salt is just normal salt no reason to spend so much on it.

Most freshwater aquarium salt is made from evaporated sea water or is synthetic. It contains no artificial additives, sugar, or artificial colors. Other labels exist such as lake salt, brackish salt etc that contain other additives. Studies have shown that table salt does not do any appreciable harm in the aquarium (although the arguments continue). Iodized (sp?) or non-iodized and some anti-caking agents that are added to table salt.

Marine salt contains additives to ensure that trace and bio elements, calcium, vitamins among others are in the proper proportion to replicate marine conditions in the sea. Most, if not all, of these are synthetic to ensure that the buyer only gets what is on the box. No phosphates, nitrates, etc. Aquarium salt can not make that claim.

How to Raise Brine Shrimp

As far as now much salt to add to get a required specific gravity that you keep asking, you need to read the instructions and get a device to measure specific gravity. That or buy your water from some place that has it pre-mixed to the SG you want.

I`ve been told that Marine salt mixes have over 89 different salts in the mix. As the captain said it`s for the different trace elements found in ocean water.

Back
Top Bottom