Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-26-2003, 10:28 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi and welcome to the salty side,

I would just like to give you a few points from my experience setting up my first reef tank.
Have you added the skilter yet? I only ask because IMHO I would return it to the LFS. I tried one on a 10gal nano it it did not perform any skimming. Even after I modified it (drilling a hole and adding an airstone) it barely produced any foam. If you plan to run a Hang On Tank (HOT)skimmer, go with either the Aqua C Remora or CPR bak pak. I know they are more expensive ($110 - $150 USD) but at least they work. IMHO the skilter is nothing more than another HOT filter, the skimmer just does not work.
Have you used the tap water purifier yet? I don't know who gave you the GPH rating (5 gal. in 30 minutes) but my experience was that it produced 5 gallons in about 6 hours. If you run the water too fast through the filter the DI resins will start to leach out into your filtered water. I'm not sure this is bad but you will begin to lose your media. Also how long did the lfs say the actual DI cartridge will last? Mine only lasted for about 25 - 50 gallons and then was exhausted and stopped "filtering" the water. Remeber the amount of water the DI cartridge can handle is based upon the quality of your tap water. I still dont think you will get more than 75 - 100 gallons no matter how good your tap is. If you plan on using filtered water, I would suggest purchasing an RO/DI filter. You can get them for a fair price at www.airwaterice.com. I know they look like a lot of money but believe me you'll save in the long run. The DI cartridges for the tap water purifier are not cheap and IME they do not last long. I would have spent more on the tap water purifier cartridges in 1 yr than I paid for my typhoon 100gpd RO/DI filter.
If you take the advice given above and go with a live rock set up, another thing you won't need is the emperor. The live rock is your biofilter and performs the nitrification cycle.
I would also recommend reading some books while your tank is cycling. My suggestion is The Conscientious Marine Aquarium by Robert Fenner. This will give you a good idea for basic SW tank set up and maintenance.
I don't want to "rain on your parade" but I think informing you of these issues will save you money in the long run. I know I wasted a lot of money on equipment that did not work when I started up my reef tank and I'm just trying to save you some cash.

BrianH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 01:02 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Thanks again for all of your advice and help with my first tank!

tony3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 12:17 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via AIM to Konrade
Well, not trying to sound mean but there is no reason you couldn't have sand or living sand in there. In fact, it is much better to have at least a 3 inch sand bed, as it will help control nitrates, where as a crushed coral substrate will help produce nitrates because of all of the gunk that gets caught in between the stuff. Most people here would reccomend sand over cc. Good luck with your tank! It is a great hobby!

Konrade is offline   Reply With Quote

starting, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com