Help starting a tank for seahorse????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shoffman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I really want to start a tank for just a seahorse, do I start it just like my saltwater tank?? Any recommendations????

Yes, it's the same. You will want things in the tank for them to hold on to. Fake gorgonians or similar. I would highly recommend tank raised horses, as many of the wild caught ones don't do well in captivity.

Are they reef safe? Would they do ok in a 40b setup? What type if fish, if any, will cohabitate well with seahorses?

I believe pipe fish are the only recommended tank mates. The SH are easily out competed for food so I would say a species only tank would be best. They are not generally considered reef safe, not sure why but I think it has something to do with them grabbing onto the corals. If you are really considering this project, you need to do a lot of research on the care requirements as IMO they are for very experienced people. I mean no offense by this or am trying to imply anything of your abilities, just a general statement.

Back
Top Bottom