Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-18-2009, 03:20 AM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Once it all settles in you should be good to go.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:58 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

i added 60 lbs of aragomax very milky

Old 10-19-2009, 12:07 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by thincat View Post
I do all my PWC's through my sump and my sand size is very fine. Since I don't syphon from the DT I have no 'sandstorm" issues.

+1 on that!!

I have NEVER vaccumed my sand. My cleanup crew does a nice job cleaning my sand.

My Goby turns the sand over and the snails and crabs eat all the waste. What teamwork!

I used FijiPink Aragonite.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:11 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

i dnt have a sump so i dont have that priviledge
Old 10-19-2009, 12:49 PM   #15
is back to save the day!

That's alright though. Just because you don't have a sump doesn't mean you still can't have a darn good tank. I don't have a sump either lol.

Also, what size aragamax did you select for your sand bed? And how large is your tank? Because 60lbs is what..? Two bags? Sounds like a good amount of sand in there. Not really sure how big your tank is though.

But here is a little "not to self":

Most people fear nitrogen gases building up beneath the sandbeds, and when they eventually make their way to the surface of the sand and then expell from the sand and in to the tank, they can have harmful effects. Honestly, this is just an overfeared phenomena, because it rarely happens in SW aquariums. However.. That is only the case when your sandbed is within a 4 inch of lower depth of sand. If you have over 4 inches of sand.. is would highly reccomend getting animals that live in and sift your sand because at that depth of sand, harmful gases CAN become a problem. Not saying that this is 100% guaranteed to happen if you don't have sand sifting critters in there.. but it has been known to happen, so you are better safe than sorry. Personally i haven't heard of any stories like this.. and maybe that is a good thing. But i would rather not take my chances, right?

Moral of the story is.. If your sandbed is over 4 inches, i would highly suggest getting livestock that sifts sand, so no harmful gases or anything like that in general, will ever have a chance to accumulate and cause damage.

EDIT**
I'm looking back in the thread now, and i see one of your posts that says you have a 125G tank which your using for whatever it is your doing right now... IF this is correct information, then 60lbs of sand should be fine. I think 2-2.5 inches max depth.. give or take half an inch in different areas of the tank. It's never going to all be the same :p
Old 10-19-2009, 08:30 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have a 5"-6" sandbed for going on 2yrs in a few months and I have Nitrogen gas bubbling out of my sand all the time. That is the reason for the DSB (deep sandbed). Nitrogen is not harmful to your tank. It bubles off straight to the surface and out into the air, What you don't want is dead spots the have Hydrogen sulfite gas building up. This will show itself as "BLACK" areas in your sand. This the the stuff that is bad and can crash your tank. Nitrogen...GOOD...Hydrogen sulfite....BAD.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:35 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

its in my 55 and the depth is only about 2.5 inches...not really concerned at all....i do pretty well wil upkeep....

edit.....Its the sugar sized aragamax....my 125 is african cichild
Old 10-20-2009, 08:53 PM   #18
is back to save the day!

Alright, great information TC. Once again you have enlightened. I did not know of what you said, but now i'm glad i do.

Question though.. by "black" spots.. do you mean on the top layer of the sand, it will present itself as a black color?
Old 10-22-2009, 06:37 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes and more then likely you will see it on the sides of your tank and or top layer.

Tags
substrate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com