Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-22-2015, 05:15 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Help to take down a saltwater tank

This is a question for my friend. She bought a house that came with an elaborate saltwater setup. They had no idea how to maintain the tanks and the people that they did hire to help ended up making things worse. The previous owner left no information on how to take care of the fish and tanks.
Now all the fish have been rehomed or sadly, have died. The tank is still full of water and live rocks. She would like to empty the tank.
We are looking for advice on how to do this properly and what we should do with the live rocks. I know nothing about saltwater tanks so I'm asking for a little help and no criticism please. The whole situation is much more complicated but we are now at the point that we need to take the tanks down. I advised her to use an aquarium vacuum pump to drain the water but beyond that I don't know. I'm sorry that I don't have more information so hopefully someone can still help.

ShadyBrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 05:35 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
You could post on Craigslist and see if anyone in your area wants to buy everything in the tank, minus fish. Or you could post something on here for people to buy and hen hey could pick it up or ship it. You are right about siphoning water though.
My tanks (so far )
5.5 gallon Planted Dwarf Puffer tank (2 Dwarf Puffers and a lot of RCS!)
16 Gallon Planted
(GBR pair, 3 amano shrimp and a whole bunch of snails!)
Nils is offline   Reply With Quote

ate, salt, saltwater, saltwater tank, tan, tank, water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com