help w/12g fluval edge saltwater planning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tiger terror

Aquarium Advice Addict
So within weeks I will be setting up a 12g fluval edge(21 led)..new to the saltwater side of things,so ideas/suggestions for what is needed to get started is what I'm looking for..any&all help would be appreciated...Thx fish peeps...

I would like to do both if possible..really liking the diff color variations of clown fish..also need an idea of what needs to be purchased for maintaning to the tank..

Well for starters you will want to use reverse osmosis de-ionized water if you didn't already know that. You can buy them or just buy the water, on a small tank buying it isn't so bad. A small skimmer would be good idea but from what I've read it isn't really necissary on small tanks. I don't know how good the lights are as I'm no expert so someone will have to chime in there. Saltwater is daunting to start but once you get into it it's actually quite simple. The main things is flow, filtration and lighting. Filtration is primarily done by your rock, this is where flow comes in. You will also want some form of mechanical filtration also. If you use the filter that came with the tank just use filter floss and some also recommend some carbon and that takes care of mechanical filtration. For biological filtration you want a powerhead (circulation pump) and live rock. You can also use dry rock and it will become live but I prefer using all live rock (which can be risky) because of all the critters that often come in the rock called hitchhikers. They can be good or bad hence it being risky. You will want 1-1.5 pounds of rock for every gallon of water. Now with flow if your going fowlr it's usually 10-20 times your volume of water for the flow rate, on a ten gallon tank you would want 100-200 gallons per hour. With a reef you want to go higher, I've read anywhere from 20-50 times turnover. I currently have 1300 gph on my 55g which is 23x. I will be adding powerheads next weekend and am shooting for about 30x turnover. Circulation is done by a simple powerhead or powerheads. Most people get 2 powerheads and the total flow of both powerheads is combined to get your turnover. So I have 1 1300 gph now but plan to get two smaller PH around 750 gph which will increase my flow/turnover to 1500 gph. This is about 27x my volume. Also with having two PH you can put them on timers to alternate run time, one on for 1/2 hour, other on for 1 hour, first one off for 1/2 hour and so on. This is a simple wave maker which we shall dub the Walmart wavaker lol. Hope this helps.

Now for testing,I know I need a reefmaster test kit but what do I need along the same lines?

For cycling the saltwater master test kit is the better option. It has tests for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.

Back
Top Bottom