Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-06-2003, 09:24 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

HELP!!! Water pump stopped working!

I was doing a water change this evening and my Rio 1700 Pump wouldnt turn back on. I dont have a backup pump, i need advice. Will the tank be ok till tomorrow when i get home from work, about 8:00PM. I removed 10gal of water during then cleaning of the tank, and i havnt replaced it yet. Should i hold off on replacing it, until i have the new pump? Help!

Old 07-06-2003, 09:31 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Take the strainer off the pump. Unscrew the little piece that holds the impeller housing, and clean the impeller area. When you put it back together, it should fire up, unless it burnt up. If it doesn't start again, bang it up a little, works for mine all the time. This is one of the reasons Rios are not recommended, they have a habit of this. When the store opens tomorrow buy a Magdrive to replace it with. If it does start up, you can probably wait for one to be shipped and get it cheaper online. If it doesn't start up, make sure you got powerheads in the tank and good flow and you should be OK til tomorrow.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2003, 09:31 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Oh yeah, replace the water

Old 07-06-2003, 09:33 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I hear this happens to Rios all the time, is this true?
Old 07-06-2003, 09:37 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well...its dead. I cleaned it out, and plugged it back in.. Heard a little Bzzz, then nothing. Im heading out to walmart now to get a powerhead, and i'll get a magdrive in the morning. I will not be able to hook it up till tomorrow night. Will my fish be ok? oh yeah, i added the 10 gal of water back to the tank.
Old 07-06-2003, 09:38 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

if it buzzed it's not dead

Old 07-06-2003, 09:39 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
You sould also soak the pump in vinegar water solution. This will help disolve any hard water buildups that might be on the impeller housing area.

Yes rios have a bad rep for doing exactly this.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2003, 09:40 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

next thing to do is when it is apart, plug it in, the impeller should start spinning, then keep it turned on while you put it back together. then put it back in, you'll have to do this with it still attatched to the plumbing, so you can put it back in the sump without spraying water, cause once you get it going you don't want to unplug it.

Old 07-06-2003, 09:42 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Oh yeah, if it doesn't start spinning while it is apart....give the impeller a little nudge and it should fire up, can you tell I've had plenty of rios in my day?

Old 07-06-2003, 09:43 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I hear diff. things about rios, but more bad than good i must say

Tags
pump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com