Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-08-2012, 09:21 PM   #91
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfreak1
It's 500w halides is that good for my tank ? And for corals?
500w for a 48" tank is alot prolly need keep em 12" above tank sps will thrive but softies prolly wont appreciate it i have 2 250w halides at 4" over my 55g i grow sps mostly with some softies on bottom im assuming your tank is 18" deep?

Old 10-08-2012, 09:24 PM   #92

24 in height 48 in wide and 20 in depth( front to back) its a DIY tank plus I haven't made it yet but these are the dimensions

Old 10-08-2012, 09:35 PM   #93
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
24 in height 48 in wide and 20 in depth( front to back) its a DIY tank plus I haven't made it yet but these are the dimensions
Let me also add this halides evaporate alot of water and can also cause water to get warm just throwin this out there leds have come down alot in price and generate no heat and have high par ratings might wanna just give those a look as well im goin with leds on my 150g as soon as it gets thru cycle
Old 10-08-2012, 10:51 PM   #94
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I do agree with danbstong. Halides are great lights but they do heat up the water. I have them. Great for the corals but I see the increase in temp everyday.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:43 PM   #95

The kit is LEDs with fans the retailer just said the kit is equal to 2 250w halides so 500w halides
Old 10-09-2012, 06:25 PM   #96
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
The kit is LEDs with fans the retailer just said the kit is equal to 2 250w halides so 500w halides
Right on 120w leds? What brand?
Old 10-09-2012, 06:46 PM   #97

Rapidled.com 48 solder less kit

$385
Old 10-16-2012, 11:47 PM   #98
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by obscurereef
No doubt that the lighting is the exception to my statement. Without it the corals would obviously die. LEDs are super expensive, but there are some good cheap ones around like $250 a fixture..or you could buy some 3 watt LEDs and wire them. Not much of a DIY person myself, but it would definitely save hundreds to be handy! BTW corals don't carry out the process of photosynthesis. If they did, they would be considered plants (and clams would be considered plants too), but they aren't, corals are animals. They have a symbiotic relationship with algae that grows on them so that's why they require light. Try finding a great deal on craigslist and negotiating...there are some setups I find on craigslist that are 100 gallon for $300. AndrewPistol got a 150 gallon tank stand and plumbing for $100! Look around!
Sps Coral are photosynthetic as the algae they feed off of grows inside the coral itself not on it i have sps tank never fed it once grows completely from light
Old 10-16-2012, 11:57 PM   #99
Aquarium Advice Addict

I said practically the same thing...I mean, the corals are classified as photosynthetic, but the algae is the one that carries out that process. The corals are the animals that consume the photosynthetic algae...I guess I wasn't clear enough, but yeah you're right.

- Winston Churchill
Old 10-17-2012, 12:01 AM   #100
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by obscurereef
I said practically the same thing...I mean, the corals are classified as photosynthetic, but the algae is the one that carries out that process. The corals are the animals that consume the photosynthetic algae...I guess I wasn't clear enough, but yeah you're right.
I was confused on the reading lol excactly the algae is what feeds the coral the algae is photosynthetic they are separate but the same i guess somewhat of a symbiotic relationship sorry about that

Tags
coral, salt, saltwater, saltwater aquarium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com