Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-17-2012, 12:06 AM   #101
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh no it's fine! I was saying it in a weird way I guess..oh well now we're on the same page.

- Winston Churchill
Old 10-17-2012, 12:35 AM   #102
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I skimmed this thread, so forgive me if that has been covered ad-nauseum, but using WPG when talking LEDs, or even talking about total Watts when it comes to LEDs in not an accurate way to determine whether or not you are getting a good fixture.

Let me preface this by saying I am by no means a reef tank expert - my reef tank is less than a year old. However, I have been reading, researching, and using high powered aquarium lighting for years on FW planted tanks, and all of this is equally applicable on that side of the hobby. My experience includes using CFL, T8, T5HO, T5NO, PC, high powered LEDs, and low powered LEDs.

PAR is a much more accurate way to discuss whether or not you have the correct amount of light for a reef tank, though more updated thinking is evening getting away from that, at least when comparing output of a t5ho or VHO bulb to LEDs.

The point is, discussing total wattage is somewhat immaterial. The individual wattage of each diode is far more important, and whether or not the diode has optics installed is even more important.

What you want is to see at least 100-150 uMol at the sandbed if you want to promote growth in most coral - with higher being even more desirable. You could have 500W of LED over your tank but if they are 0.1W diodes with no optics, you might get close to 0 uMol at the bottom of your tank. This is why it is so important to research your lighting and the requirements of the specific species you want to keep. This is also why certain COTS fixtures that are commonly available are wholly insufficient to grow most coral, even if they have the same or even higher wattage than more specialized, but perhaps less common LED fixtures.

Just food for thought.

Also, I saw in another thread you said you had a $900 coral in your tank. I am trying to figure out how that is the case when in this thread you don't even have the equipment purchased yet?

Corals

Interesting.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:29 AM   #103

I do have it in another aquarium which was done by professionals that my wife hired for my birthday. Now I want to make my own aquarium and not get help from professionals
Old 10-17-2012, 08:37 AM   #104
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Your professional setup tank has eggcrate in it? They setup a professional frag tank for you? Have any pics?
Old 10-17-2012, 11:11 AM   #105
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'd like to see pics also. Kinda confuses me how you have all of these questions yet can take care of a $900(?) coral. I'm not trying to dog anyone just confused and curious of what kind of tank they setup.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:18 AM   #106
AA Team Emeritus

Do your professionals also do the water testing, mix the saltwater, and do the water changes on the tanks for the fish that you breed and sell to your LFS? I'm a little confused by how you supposedly breed fish and yet don't know anything about those things evidently?

Tap Water question

Test kits for reef tank.

Despite your apparent newness to the hobby, your going to build this complete system from scratch, you claim to know what you are doing, insist you take good care of your fish, maintain multiple tanks, and breed saltwater fish to sell? And yet you don't seem to know much at all about taking care of a saltwater tank.

Certainly there is nothing wrong with attempting to learn, but it certainly appears that you are not being totally forthright in how you are respresenting yourself here.

Guess I"m just confused?

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Old 10-17-2012, 11:57 AM   #107
Aquarium Advice Freak

+1 I'm also confused
Old 10-17-2012, 03:25 PM   #108

I breed freshwater fish the saltwater tanks are for my enjoyment and yes the company does everything in them, but I want to do It myself and not pay them for maintenance here's a pick o one of my saltwater tanks done by them

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-655535648.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	125564
Old 10-17-2012, 03:33 PM   #109

I've built freshwater tanks before from scratch not the saltwater (companies did it for me and my wife 2 for my wife and one for me) and I believe it's the same thing as to making the aquarium itself but not some of the equipment and stuff like that. If I did the saltwater tanks myself then I wouldn't be starting threads i would help other people out on this forum.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:09 PM   #110
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfreak1
I've built freshwater tanks before from scratch not the saltwater (companies did it for me and my wife 2 for my wife and one for me) and I believe it's the same thing as to making the aquarium itself but not some of the equipment and stuff like that. If I did the saltwater tanks myself then I wouldn't be starting threads i would help other people out on this forum.
Building a 100g sw aquarium from scratch isnt a great idea. Considering youve never built a larger tank like this before and for reasons made obvious by others. Just buy a tank and stand, itll give you peace of mind over building one

Closed Thread

Tags
coral, salt, saltwater, saltwater aquarium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com