Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-06-2012, 02:07 PM   #1

Hi everyone im new to AA lately I've been thinking of getting into the saltwater aquarium world and I was thinking of a 100 gallon tank with corals live sand live rock and a diy sump. Also I was thinking of getting a coralife skimmer rated for 125 gallons( do you guys think this is good enough?).
Lastly I was going to get coralife 48 in lights( 10000k do u guys think this is right for coral?) and I was going to get other stuff but I need a list of really what I would need and how much of it. Thanks I advance for any device

And my budget for the rest of the things is $300-$500 without the list on top but I really want it closer to $300 or $400

Can anyone help me at all

Please

Old 10-06-2012, 02:31 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I've heard bad things about coralife skimmers and the light is a t5?
Depending on the number of bulbs you won't be able to keep much unless you have more than maybe 4.
I'm actually building a 100 reef myself and you most likely Wont be able to stay in that budget.

Old 10-06-2012, 02:39 PM   #3

Yes coralife t5 for like $144 at petco

Also what skimmer would you say because my budget for it is $200
And lots of people said coralife skimmers are like the 3rd best, that's what I was tolled and read on a bunch of forums
Old 10-06-2012, 02:40 PM   #4

Sorry for double post my app isn't working good today
Old 10-06-2012, 02:41 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfreak1
Yes t5 for like $144 at petco

Also what skimmer would you say because I can't go over $200 for skimmer
If you can't go over $200 for the skimmer I'd look on Craigslist for a nice used one. coralife skimmers are no good. In a 100 gallon tank I'd stick with mh or LEDs if your wanting to do corals unless your looking at 6 & 8 bulb t5 fixtures and they run around $500. Don't rush anything take it slow & get the right equipment the first time around its worth it.
Old 10-06-2012, 02:45 PM   #6

I know I just want really a list of supplies for my budget with fish and coral is about $1400. What skimmer companies would you say are best maybe ill look into that

Also what companies for lighting
Old 10-06-2012, 02:48 PM   #7

600 for fish rest is for the equipment and I'm making a DIY sump and aquarium so I have about 600 left for things like skimmer lighting maintenance equipment testing equipment things like that any company suggestions for these things? And the cost if you can
Old 10-06-2012, 05:22 PM   #8

What light to use for coral

Hi everyone I'm new at AA and I'm thinking of getting in saltwater fish (have experience with freshwater and tropical) and I would like to ask what lighting system to use for a 48 inch tank with coral in it?
Old 10-06-2012, 05:44 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

The question you've asked is the source of a lot of different opinions and does depend on the photosynthetic corals you want to keep.

I have a six bulb T5HO system on my 75. If I was starting over, I'd be taking a hard look at some of the bargain LED systems.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:54 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I use the AI SOL BLUE fixture on my bio cube 29

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Closed Thread

Tags
coral, salt, saltwater, saltwater aquarium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com