Help Whats needed for a saltwater aquarium with coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishfreak1

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everyone im new to AA lately I've been thinking of getting into the saltwater aquarium world and I was thinking of a 100 gallon tank with corals live sand live rock and a diy sump. Also I was thinking of getting a coralife skimmer rated for 125 gallons( do you guys think this is good enough?).
Lastly I was going to get coralife 48 in lights( 10000k do u guys think this is right for coral?) and I was going to get other stuff but I need a list of really what I would need and how much of it. Thanks I advance for any device

And my budget for the rest of the things is $300-$500 without the list on top but I really want it closer to $300 or $400

Can anyone help me at all

Please

Last edited by a moderator:
I've heard bad things about coralife skimmers and the light is a t5?
Depending on the number of bulbs you won't be able to keep much unless you have more than maybe 4.
I'm actually building a 100 reef myself and you most likely Wont be able to stay in that budget.

Yes coralife t5 for like $144 at petco

Also what skimmer would you say because my budget for it is $200
And lots of people said coralife skimmers are like the 3rd best, that's what I was tolled and read on a bunch of forums

Sorry for double post my app isn't working good today

Fishfreak1 said:
Yes t5 for like $144 at petco

Also what skimmer would you say because I can't go over $200 for skimmer

If you can't go over $200 for the skimmer I'd look on Craigslist for a nice used one. coralife skimmers are no good. In a 100 gallon tank I'd stick with mh or LEDs if your wanting to do corals unless your looking at 6 & 8 bulb t5 fixtures and they run around $500. Don't rush anything take it slow & get the right equipment the first time around its worth it.

I know I just want really a list of supplies for my budget with fish and coral is about $1400. What skimmer companies would you say are best maybe ill look into that

Also what companies for lighting

Last edited by a moderator:
600 for fish rest is for the equipment and I'm making a DIY sump and aquarium so I have about 600 left for things like skimmer lighting maintenance equipment testing equipment things like that any company suggestions for these things? And the cost if you can

What light to use for coral

Hi everyone I'm new at AA and I'm thinking of getting in saltwater fish (have experience with freshwater and tropical) and I would like to ask what lighting system to use for a 48 inch tank with coral in it?

The question you've asked is the source of a lot of different opinions and does depend on the photosynthetic corals you want to keep.

I have a six bulb T5HO system on my 75. If I was starting over, I'd be taking a hard look at some of the bargain LED systems.

Thanks guys, what do u think about coralife t5 for $144 at petco?

Never used the corallife but I have the 48" zoo med from Petco it has worked great nice large reflector,2switch for each bulb. We have leathers, button pylops,torch,frogspawn,shrooms ,Kenya tree,waving hands, acansand fish.tank is 46gal bow front with just the

Fishfreak1 said:
Thanks guys, what do u think about coralife t5 for $144 at petco?

It's not the lunar Aqualight 4 bulb T5 HO fixture is it? If so then that light will be fine and a good price for $144.00

I think $100 is a REALLY tight budget for just the equipment. A protein skimmer for my 70 cost $300 and the lights were something like $600. The rock was $300 and there was a bunch of other stuff. It might be done, but a lot would need to be DIY if you're going for a 100 gallon or more. All the brands I'm thinking of don't have really cheap products. Remember you get what you pay for, so if something looks cheap and too good to be true, it probably is.

Fishfreak1 said:
I know I just want really a list of supplies for my budget with fish and coral is about $1400. What skimmer companies would you say are best maybe ill look into that

I have over $1200 in my 40 gallon tank. I you're on that tight of a budget either save up more money or look at going FOWLR.

Oh sorry misread I thought your budget was $700 and 600 was for the fish 100 for the equipment. $700 and you'll have to be conservative..lighting will be your most important and expensive investment if you're going to have a reef.

As for a list for a reef 125gallon

Lights - $600+

Testing equipment - $100

Upkeep chemicals and water changes- $50(monthly)

DIY sump - $100+

Filtration - $200+

Skimmer - $200+

So on and so on. A reef tank is not something you can do on a budget if you want it to live.
Don't skimp out either because these are living creatures whose lives you are taking into your hands.

I don't agree. You can make your own LED lights for really cheap, own stand, own skimmer, sump, etc. There are many who are trying to find the cheapest way to keep a reef tank and it's all in the maintenance and water quality really. Lighting is key, protein skimmers are not (but they are very helpful). Frequent water changes will keep parameters in check and it's all up to the husbandry..the equipment just helps with the upkeep. Not too long ago the technology wasn't as advanced as it is today so there were other methods to keep reefs looking great. Go with base rock instead of live and you'll save a bunch of money. Other wise you could be looking at $400-600 just on rock!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom