Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-14-2012, 05:12 PM   #21

Well actually your wrong tangs and butterfly are reef safe except some but all the fish I want are reef safe and the shrimp I want in the tank is not eaten by the fish, they eat a shrimp starting with a m don't remember the exact name. Also the lionfish and eel are only for a couple weeks unless there's no victims then ill keep then longer plus I'm going to get the smallest lion and eel I can get.

Old 10-14-2012, 05:17 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfreak1
Well actually your wrong tangs and butterfly are reef safe except some but all the fish I want are reef safe and the shrimp I want in the tank is not eaten by the fish, they eat a shrimp starting with a m don't remember the exact name. Also the lionfish and eel are only for a couple weeks unless there's no victims then ill keep then longer plus I'm going to get the smallest lion and eel I can get.
Tangs are reef safe but are prone to ich and most need bigger tank

Butterfly fish are not reef safe, foxface butterflies are though.

The hawk fish and grouper and probably lion and eel will eat your shrimp.

Mysis shrimp is a food but I have seen a hawk fish and a grouper gobble up a few cleaners.

Old 10-14-2012, 05:31 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfreak1
Angle

Clownfish
Anthias
Blenny
Basslet
Butterfly
Starcki
Dottyback
Golden dwarf moray (maybe)
Firefish
Goby
Grouper
Hawkfish
Jawfish
Pygmy angle
Wrasse
Tang
Shrimp
Worm fish
And maybe a lionfish
Note the eel and lionfish will only be in there for a couple weeks to see how it goes if everything is good ill keep them.
From there I would minus the lion fish . Eel needs to go to. It's not going to work out with the fish you want.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:32 PM   #24

Ill rethink some of those then but I'm probably getting fox face, isn't it a butterfly (family) that's the one I was thinking of
Four striped damsel
Hippo tang
Yellow tang
Old 10-14-2012, 05:46 PM   #25

How about garden eels ill have 3-4in sand
Old 10-14-2012, 05:59 PM   #26

I really want an eel or lion in there even if it just looks like one or the other. Any suggestions?
Old 10-14-2012, 06:15 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm sorry, but if you're wanting a reef safe and invert safe fish, your choices will be narrowed down dramatically. I had to rethink my stock list for my 70 so many times. Each time I had a favorite fish that I wanted there was always stories of how it can eat small fish or inverts...fish that would seem completely peaceful. But I'm glad I researched the real behavior before experiencing it first hand. I really don't recommend you getting a damsel, they are very aggressive even with fish bigger than them.

A quite docile fish, yet beautiful IMO, is a purple firefish. Or you could have a trio of zebra dartfish. Royal grammas look like some dottybacks and are less aggressive. They are a basslet too, so you can't have two, if say you wanted a chalk bass you couldn't have both. I won't be the tank police, but there are going to be people who are going to highly discourage from getting a tang that grows over a foot, let alone 2.

Garden eels are for experts really, they are very shy and not like other type of eels. Usually best in groups or species tank. I've seen them put in a tank with seahorses...that's how delicate they are! And 3-4 inches won't be a good setup for them, neither will the super aggressive fish you want to keep them with.

- Winston Churchill
obscurereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:24 PM   #28

I know that's why I asked is there a similar species that's like them but not as sensitive and looks similar to an eel or garden eel or a lionfish
Old 10-14-2012, 06:42 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

There's the blue spot sanddiver or the yellow stripe clingfish that have that eelish look, but those are pretty much for experts too...A midas blenny would be an awesome addition and they move in an eel-like fashion.

Maybe a cardinal? A watchman goby/pistol shrimp pair? Just throwing out some ideas.

- Winston Churchill
obscurereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:49 PM   #30

Guys I just found a fish friendly eel it's called a chainlink moray eel which is fish friendly but can't be with hawkfish groupers frog fish trigger or puffers or they will eat him

Tags
stocking

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com