Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-14-2012, 02:04 PM   #1

Help with 100 gallon stocking list

I am going to have a 100 gallon reef tank soon and I want to do nemo styled aquarium so some fish and coral from the movie. I also want 2 fish that aren't in the movie so a lion fish and a eel. It's going to be a sand substrate and I also want a engineer goby I think that's what it's called is it reef safe?

Old 10-14-2012, 02:06 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Okay well i want to warn you that you wont be able to get all of the fish you want. For example lion fish and eels will eat the clown fish. Moorish idols are difficult to care for and wont do well. Puffers dont coexist with shrimp like it did in the movie. The tank probably isnt big enough for all of those fish. Post what you want and we can sift through it

Old 10-14-2012, 02:12 PM   #3

How about garden eels or eels that are just born? Same with lion fish maybe a baby one. Also the puffer can sit out
Old 10-14-2012, 02:20 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-Nu the eel
Okay well i want to warn you that you wont be able to get all of the fish you want. For example lion fish and eels will eat the clown fish. Moorish idols are difficult to care for and wont do well. Puffers dont coexist with shrimp like it did in the movie. The tank probably isnt big enough for all of those fish. Post what you want and we can sift through it
+1 Nu Nu is right!!! if the fish can fit into the lions mouth, he will eat it. My lion ate a damsel that was longer than I thought he could handle but he got him (not that I was to upset because that thing picked at everything I had put into the tank and I did try to remove him). I can't speak for the eel since I don't have first hand experience with them.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:23 PM   #5

How about if I get a 1 in lion fish so a baby and put it in last.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:27 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

You could get a dwarf lion, but then you'd have to build the tank around him. People who keep lionfish usually make the tank a predator tank..or they get fish that are aggressive/compatible. Might want to skip on the lionfish this time b/c you won't be able to keep the type of fish you want. Or you could have a lionfish and a few fish that will be aggressive and large, but no inverts.

- Winston Churchill
obscurereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:41 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Getting baby fish really doesnt help because at some point it will eat your smaller fish. You will either 1. Not be able to predict the future and wait a little too long and have an eaten fish or 2. Think that because they have "grown up" together that they are "friends" but no. It will get eaten. Lol garden eels need an 8" sand bed and not many people want to ruin their tank for an eel. Haha
Old 10-14-2012, 02:53 PM   #8

Fine ill skip the lionfish but what about eels I was thinking 3-4in sand I really want a eel or a lion but it looks like I have to skip the lion now, so how about eels
Old 10-14-2012, 03:14 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Maybe have the engineer goby instead? When they get older their stripes turn from horizontal to vertical! They are more peaceful, but when large there have been cases of it eating little shrimp and such. Even w/ a snowflake eel, you would need to select your fish carefully for when the eel grows bigger.

- Winston Churchill
obscurereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:26 PM   #10

Ok forget about the eel lionfish and goby for now

What fish were in the movie nemo that I can put in the same 100 gallon aquarium. Also what corals ( I have strong 500w halide LEDs for lights)

Tags
stocking

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com