Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-14-2012, 07:38 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvsfx
well thanks everyone really helped me out on the decision , and Sanchezkk im a beginner myself so I dont claim this to be the 'actual anwser but my opinion would be that..
cycling a tank is exactly that a cycle
ammonia converts into nitrite and then into nitrate
so if i would make sense of this i would say that it would take alot longer to see nitrates then the time it takes for you to see nitrites and maybe the conversion process from ammonia > nitrite happens alot quicker then nitrite > nitrate.
dont know for sure but that would be my opinion, i know this is probably a big no-no in the fish community but I was soo confuzed when I was in the fish store staring at all the supplements and test kits that i only purchased a nitrate test kit out of the 3 and seeing as it may be the last stage in the cycle that was alright one day I did the test and that test tube was glowing and then the next nothing so i judged that was the end of my cycle
slightly over a week in a 10 gallon with uncured LR , i waited a week and added a cuc and 3 more until i added a fish , and he's still going strong.
Hope that helped :P
I see what you are saying and I agree but what does CUC mean?

Old 03-14-2012, 09:08 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

sorry for all the questions to anyone that may get annoyed I do gather information from other sources but I always like to double check on here after. So another thing is what size of tank would a skimmer start to be like mandatory for and what would I /be able to go up to and still get away with one, doing weekly water changes? or with a bigger tank could I even do water changes bi-weekly?

Old 03-14-2012, 09:21 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

CUC= clean up crew. lol yea aquatic lingo, i just picked that one up recently;P I started off with 3 various hermits since variety is the spice of life and an emerald that hitchhiked on my life rock, so she actully survived the whole cycling process and I didnt even acclimate her its been nice watching her grow and i tell yea those lil guys are almost fearless I would recommend one since they one of the only things known to eat bubble algae. furthermore you will probably get to a stage in your tank soon after cycling when everything gets coverd in a rusty color , which is called diatoms' I was told they will go away but if u want get a few troshus snails, they cleaned my tank up in a day and there very tough able to right themselves and even shake would be predators (hermits) off of them. But these would all depend on what sort of fish plan to put in your tank because im pretty sure they would be quick snacks for a puffer
Old 03-14-2012, 09:49 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Oh okay that makes more sense to me now.

Also, now this is only an observation of an article I read at some time, about skimmers and such. I read that Mangrove roots in a tank can and would replace a skimmer. If I were you, I would research that and give it a try. I also remember the article stating that it would totally eliminate the need for a skimmer. I hope that helps.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:09 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

great suggestion ! as i am deffinatly building a refugium from one of my 10 gallons . i will look more into this and give it serious consideration. ahh i love this hobby so much i wish to turn it into a profession one day

Tags
hex, livestock, start, supplies, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com