Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-15-2010, 12:56 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Help with buget filter for 125g tank

I just bought a 125 gallon tank and need to add a filter system and need some help. Here is my situation: I have about $250 to spend on the
filter(s). The tank is a glass drilled tank with 2 built-in overflow boxes. I have 160 pound of live rock and 4 inches of sand. I really don't care if I can't add corals for awhile and the fish I'm going to add to the tank (5 fish currently in a 29 gallon biocube) should have a small bio load. The options I'm considering are getting two cheap canister filters or trying to set-up a sump. The problem I have is I'm not going to build a sump (sorry, just isn't going to happen) and since I have two drilled overflows I would need a sump with two intake and most of them are over my budget. I’m begging for ideas...Please help

base13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 03:10 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist
buy a 40-50 gallon tank for the sump and a pump to push the water flow you want

use a 5 gallon bucket or some office divider shelve at walmart and make your own wet/dry filter

you can combine them into one or make one for each overflow.

pipe the system with PVC (very easy and cheap to do!!)

I spent $100 on the one i made for my 75 gallon

that or build algae scrubbers in the sump. very effective and no need for skimmers from what i'm reading all over the web

Turbo V6 Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 04:54 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular
Agreed i did the above for my 125 gallon i have a fluval 404 as my main filter but with the stock i have it wasn't nearly enough. I made a diy HOB overflow (didd not want to drill my tank)and made a 5 gallon bucket wet dry filter and stuck it all inside a 30 gallon tote I also moved the heaters into the tote out of the main tank. And put a 400gph pump in their to circulate the water from the sump back into the tank. Adds Great aeration to the water and dose a excellent job filtering. All for around $100. Ran it as the only filter for about 3 weeks when the fluval broke water stayed crystal clear and my water perimeters were ok. I Would feel comfortable using it as a main filter. And you will have $150 left over for something you cant make yourself
jawbreaker1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 05:30 PM   #4
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
For that size tank really all you need is LR and a skimmer and a couple of PH`s to push the water around. Good biological filtration from the LR and good mechanical filtration with the skimmer. That`s all I had for yrs before I got the skimmer.
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

1.5g, bug, filter, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com