Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-17-2011, 05:58 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

its a crummy jebo one that came with the 40 gallon tank I bought ): , besides that though I have a used reef octopus skimmer and 2 powerheads inside. The filter that is my main tool against physical debris is not pulling its weight though.

Old 06-17-2011, 06:01 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

I am also trying to get my nitrates down in my main tank because I really want to get some fire shrimp and cleaner shrimp but they stubbornly hang around 20 ppm. I have done multiple water changes along with swished my filter media in old tank water to hopefully bring it down but I am all out of ideas. Are there any suggestions you could offer that is causing my nitrates? (or something that can get rid of them ^^)

Old 06-17-2011, 08:45 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

How large are your water changes? How often do you do them? Are you an overfeeder? lol
Old 06-17-2011, 08:57 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

noo ): and I've been doing about 15 gallon water changes, just because I do not have enough jugs but I guess I should do like a 30 gallon change? (40 gallon tank) :T I did one before and it took me down to 40 ppm and from there I am at my current situation. I have been doing water changes so far nearly every 2-3 days to a certain extent but my tank is still fairly new so I have not established a routine yet, all of my water changes have been sporadic. and nu ): i don't overfeed I think. The lfs guy said to feed him once a day of frozen brine shrimp (1/4th of each little cube because he said 1 feeds four fish) and thats what I've been doing.

Sorry for long post but I guess overall just do a 75% water change and I should be okay?
Old 06-17-2011, 09:28 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I would do a large pwc, say 20g one day and do another one about the same the next day.

have you tested your water that you use for nitrates? It's odd to do so many changes and not see a significant drop.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:52 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

I know I have tested for ammonia and ph and such for sure. Im pretttyyy sure I tested for nitrates but am amused I cannot remember exactly. Will definitely do when I get home, and raise **** ACCORDINGLY DEPENDING ON RESULTS
Old 06-18-2011, 04:58 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

its at 0 nitrates :P , I will test the alkaline water filter at home to see if I can use it and hopefully do the two 50% water changes over the weekend

Tags
clean, cleaning, filter, substrate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com