Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-17-2011, 03:56 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Help with cleaning substrate and filter

Hi I noticed in my 40 gallon that there is a lot of gunk that stays on the floor. I've been reading that these should simply be moved by the water current to be sucked into the filter but I think my filter is inadequate.

I wanted to ask can I just vacuum these up? I have live sand as substrate and I thought I read somewhere saying I should not be vacuuming my sand. Also, will it be okay to upgrade/add a canister filter? (currently have in hood filter) Will the canister filter pretty much get all the debris and stuff that I am talking about?

I would like my tank to be in good shape and these debris are not much help, also when I vacuum alot of sand gets sucked up as well. thanks!

Old 06-17-2011, 04:01 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Do you have any powerheads? That can pick up the flow and move those particles up and into your filter.

I use a canister on my 55g but it's alot of work, not something I'd recommend.

Old 06-17-2011, 04:01 PM   #3
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

You can vacuum it up if you want. What kind of CUC do you have? Do you have any nassirus snails. They live in the sand and come up out of it to eat trash.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 04:28 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

What is a CUC? And yes I have in total 3 powerheads but one is simply the eject of the hood filter shooting straight. I cannot/have not figured out how to angle the other 2 powerheads in order to circulate the tank. It always seems like there will be somewhere that does not get flow (hence where I noticed debris sitting there)

Also for my inhood filter, I do not think it is very good :/ it came with the tank (mistake for buying it) but yeah, I even actually cut the suction pipe so I could place it in the right spot but I think it was a mistake. I could just purchase another HOB filter but I was wondering about canister filters, is it similar to HOB in terms of it sucks the water from a single location or is it just a hose I shove in the water

LAST THING - Melosu58, it's okay to be vacumming live sand? no harm to bacteria/nitrate levels or anything else like that? Thanks!
Old 06-17-2011, 04:32 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I canister will have an input hose that goes into the tank and an outflow that comes back up to a nozzle in your tank. Two separate hoses.

CUC= clean up crew snails, hermits stuff like that
Old 06-17-2011, 04:35 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

ahhhh thanks carey. I will pick some more guys up. Can you recommend something that will actually get the debris off my sand? I have 2 hermit crabs that came with the rocks but yeah they hang out on the rocks.

The canister doesnt sound too bad :0 so its basically I beefed up vacuum hose? Do you just stick the hose to the side of the tank somewhere and leave it alone?
Old 06-17-2011, 04:49 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Here's some pictures of my fluval canister I have running on my 55g SW.

Old 06-17-2011, 04:50 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Oh and you wouldnt keep the input and output so close together, I was just cleaning the back glass and left it like that LOL
Old 06-17-2011, 05:01 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

hmmm icic canister filter definitely sounds interesting. It seems like it has the power to actually suck something into it unlike my current one, I see debris float right by it. Thanks Carey I think I might be interested in it. As for the CUC can I just get some hermit crabs and slugs and be good? I want something that will physically eat the little specks of food off the floor
Old 06-17-2011, 05:04 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Hermits and some snails will eat the leftover food. Its best not to have too much though

canister filters in saltwater need to be religiously maintained though. I mean every week if necessary. They can harbor nitrates really bad. I spend a good portion of my day every day maintaining all my tanks and the canister one was extra work at the time.

What type and brand of filter do you have?

Tags
clean, cleaning, filter, substrate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com