Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 05-27-2006, 01:25 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Help with Coralife SS problem

Guys, my skimmer is possessed, and I need a little help please. The skimmer has been up and running for a few weeks now, and up until the last week or so, has been running fine. The skimmer will be operating fine, minimal micro-bubbles in the tank, and all of a sudden will stop skimming and start dumping massive amounts of micro-bubbles in the tank. If I leave it alone long enough, or sometimes adjust the water height level a little, it will eventually start skimming again and the bubbles will subside.
What could be the problem with this thing? I tried looking for a blockage in any of the tubes or anything out of the ordinary, and everything looks fine. Little help here would be greatly appreciated.

Quil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 05:01 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist
Are you using the bubble diffuser? If you are, the foam pad in the bottom may need to be cleaned out.

Serpentman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 05:56 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Have you cleaned the bubble box pads? When that plugs up, it slows the outflow, which forces the water higher in the skimmer. If your water level where the pump is stays consistent, you should have to mess with it much, until the collection cup really starts to get covered with gunk.

I clean my collection cup (all the surfaces) about every other day - it works mucho better when clean.

Also, you might have something blocking the impeller in the pump, which can lead to inconsistent pressure to the housing. I'd take the needle wheel assembly and the impeller out and clean them well.

The SS's have worked great for me (had a 65, now a 125). I get a full cup of thick, extremely smelly gunk every 48 hours.
180G build thread

180G All-glass with dual megaflows in a custom stand
AquaC EV-180 skimmer
250 pounds LR
160 pounds aragonite
Custom acrylic sump from GlassCages.com
2xPCX-40 return pumps
2x250MH 14K, 2x175MH 14K - PFO lighting, 2x65W PC
No-name 36W UV
Water General 125GPH RO/DI
Filstar XP3
Scoot is offline   Reply With Quote

coral, coralife

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com