help with corals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

craig_will2513

Aquarium Advice Freak
can someone pleast tell me what lps and sps are and also explaine what it means also whats the difference between coral and frags. iam new to this . also iv had my tank up and running about 2 months now i have 2kg live rock and live sand. there are a number of coral like things growning on the rock one large maybe 4 inch nem like thing to. also i have a star fish and some crabs. is that my tank up and running now or is it still going through the set up.. please note iv not put things in my tank to get it going quicker.. everything in it came along with the rock

From Liveaquaria

SPS Hard Corals
In general, the Small Polyped Stony corals have small polyps on a calcareouss skeleton. In many instances they are either branching or plated. SPS hard corals are generally considered more difficult to keep than the LPS or soft corals and are not recommended for beginners.

LPS Hard Corals
Large Polyp Stony Corals are generally larger calcareous corals with large fleshy polyps. The degree of extension of the tentacles depends upon the amount of light, current, and whether the coral is feeding or not. Most of the LPS hard corals produce long sweeper tentacles which they use to keep any other organisms a safe distance away

What size tank? Any pics?

LPS are large polyped stony corals, SPS are small polyped stony corals. Both make a calcium carbonate skeleton. On average LPS are hardier and easier.

Frags are small pieces of corals that are cheaper to buy and will still seed a colony.

What are the concentrations of ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate?

That four inch hem thing may be an aiptasia. Google images aiptasia and tell is that what it looks like.

Are you wanting to make this a reef?

Hi thanks for all that. Yeah I want a reef with maybe one or two fish. So everyth should be at 0. What about the ph. General hardness ie calcium and magnesium. Also the carbonate hardness ie the alkalinity. My tank is 13 gallon. It was 10lb live sand and about 3kg ocean rock 2kg tufa rock and about 2kg live rock. I have a sand sifting star. 4 hermits. Yeah I think that big nem maybe aptasia. Is that ok. And there are loads of little nem type things growing on the rock could they be aptasia also.

craig_will2513 said:
Hi thanks for all that. Yeah I want a reef with maybe one or two fish. So everyth should be at 0. What about the ph. General hardness ie calcium and magnesium. Also the carbonate hardness ie the alkalinity. My tank is 13 gallon. It was 10lb live sand and about 3kg ocean rock 2kg tufa rock and about 2kg live rock. I have a sand sifting star. 4 hermits. Yeah I think that big nem maybe aptasia. Is that ok. And there are loads of little nem type things growing on the rock could they be aptasia also.

Yes they could. Actually they probably are. You should get a syringe and fill it with kaulkwasser. Make sure the syringe doesn't have metal on it. Squirt the solution into the middle of the aipstasia's center.

Back
Top Bottom