Help with cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nels22

Aquarium Advice Activist
First off, liverock came in yesterday, and was very impressed, lots of growth on the rocks. I placed it in the tank and am now waiting for the cycle to occur. I checked the ammonia today and it gave a reading of 0.5, i was wondering if i should maybe help the process along and add a shrimp, will that effect the growth on the rock? or will the 60 lbs of liverock be enough to cycle my tank.

the rock should be enough ! i wouldnt add any shrimp ! could cause a bigger cycle which in turn could kill off some good things ya might have got on the rock ! let it run a few weeks before you add anything ! the longer the better imo

i have no plans on adding any fish, i will be fasinated by the rock for months!!! I just wanted my tank to have a complete cycle, rather than a "mini cycle" so to speak. If the rock alone will do the job i don't have a problem not using the shrimp. Also, should i be doing water changes once per week. I was thinking 20%, is that too much, and should i be running the protein skimmer?

water changes yea ! skimmer always !! cool imo the longer ya wait for fish the better for your pods worms ect..
good luck :)
yea you will always find something new on/in your rock ! about a year ago i bought some lr and didnt want to cukes in the tank so i moved them well just found one in the tank that i never seen before :)

Back
Top Bottom