Help with cycling new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Samba

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My first saltwater tank has been on cycle for 6 days and have lots of fine sand still floating about, it hasn't got any better in the last few days, how long should it take to settle?
Thanks

I used arag-alive gravel, I syphoned it in and put a plate on the gravel directing it onto that, hoping that would be enough, do you think a water change would sort it out?

Its quite hard to tell on the photo,.it looks quite clear but fine bits of sand floating everywhere and bubbles on back of tank and on filter and skimmer

Looks like a nice set up
But it could be either micro bubble floating about or it. Could be sand floating also
To help with it since you have no live stock you could try shutting down you filtration so you have no flow so the sand has no reason to not fall
But you def. need more live rock which will also help with the filtration

Once you have the filtration turned off just use your hand or a fish net and just scrape the bubbles and they will float straight to the top and disappear
To stop the bubble make sure your pump bringing the water back into the tank is fully submerged so air can go into the tank causing bubbles

Thanks, the more I look at it I think it is mainly micro bubbles, im getting some more live rock this weekend so hopefully that will quicken it up. Should I still turn off the filter if it is microbubbles, sorry I know that sounds like a stupid question, but bare with me I'm very new!

Great thanks so much for that, massive help will give it a go, wow your tank is great, wish I could have afforded to buy a load of rock at the beginning, but will get there

Sorry for the post before, didn't read your reply before sending it

You could turn the filtration off at least over night so make sure none of it sand and scrape the bubble at the same time and just turn the filter back on in the morning
I take it you have an overflow system with a sump?

No I don't yet, is that something I need to do straight away? The filter I am using is one that I got with the tank, its a juwel bio flow 3.0, the pump inside it is not completely in the water but its as far down as it will go and the water is filled to the max?

A sump is best because of the biological filtration
But since the pump can't be fully submerged I'll always have the micro bubbles because air is getting in the line
Any other questions you have go ahead and ask away

Oh how disappointing, I think I need to make some more purchases this weekend aswel as the rock, its an expensive but very addictive hobby :) thanks for your help, its much appreciated, there is so much to get my head around

Ya I have over $1000 in what I have solar and I'm not even close to bein done lol
Just shoot me a message for any other questions

Back
Top Bottom