HELP WITH FISH CARE (ADDITIVES and microbubbles)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

army6192plt

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have started my new tank (85 gal great lakes) I now have 85 lbs of cured live rock from my LFS a proclear 175 wet/dry, and a proclear 250 gal skimmer. I have 2 yellow tail damsels and 2 electric blue damsels. I am having 2 problems. Due to the small volume of water in the wet/dry, I am getting microbubbles in the main tank from the skimmer. Second is that I would really like to know what people use for additives in their tank to promote good health and growth of coraline alge and other suck benificial things. I also have a aqualite 4x65w compact florecent fixture and about 150 lbs of play sand for a sand bed.

Any suggestions?
Thanks

Attachments

• skimmer_495.jpg
    skimmer_495.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 21
  • tank1_125.jpg
    tank1_125.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 22
  • tank2_516.jpg
    tank2_516.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 24
  • tank3_156.jpg
    tank3_156.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 20
  • tank4_207.jpg
    tank4_207.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 15
As far as additives, don't add anything you dont test for. You shouldn't need to add any additives at all. Everything you need should be replenished when you do water changes. Get your self a good test kit and test your water. The strips aren't very reliable and thats what most fish stores use. If you find that you are low on say calcium or your alk is too high or too low, ask on here and I'm sure someone on here can get you a better way to fix the problem. I dont know about our bubble problems though. Maybe someone will have the same kind of skimmer as you and could steer you in the right direction. HTH

If you are cycling your tank with those damsels, I would see if you can take them back to your LFS and get two cocktail shrimp from your grocery to finish the cycle. For one, it is inhumane and they might not make it. Two, once damsels get older, they can be very aggressive, and with your set up, you might have a hard time catching them or adding other fish to your tank.

PWC will replenish anything your critters use. Unless you have a bioload that requires more than you have in the water. I have read that most just increase PWc if they find their tanks being depleated of minerals and such. Personally, I try to keep it as natural as possible.

I don't use a skimmer, so som one else will be along to help you.

Back
Top Bottom