Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-09-2006, 07:01 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Send a message via Yahoo to army6192plt

I have started my new tank (85 gal great lakes) I now have 85 lbs of cured live rock from my LFS a proclear 175 wet/dry, and a proclear 250 gal skimmer. I have 2 yellow tail damsels and 2 electric blue damsels. I am having 2 problems. Due to the small volume of water in the wet/dry, I am getting microbubbles in the main tank from the skimmer. Second is that I would really like to know what people use for additives in their tank to promote good health and growth of coraline alge and other suck benificial things. I also have a aqualite 4x65w compact florecent fixture and about 150 lbs of play sand for a sand bed.

Any suggestions?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tank4_207.jpg (118.8 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg tank3_156.jpg (122.0 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg tank2_516.jpg (127.2 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg tank1_125.jpg (148.4 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg skimmer_495.jpg (33.0 KB, 14 views)

army6192plt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 11:38 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
As far as additives, don't add anything you dont test for. You shouldn't need to add any additives at all. Everything you need should be replenished when you do water changes. Get your self a good test kit and test your water. The strips aren't very reliable and thats what most fish stores use. If you find that you are low on say calcium or your alk is too high or too low, ask on here and I'm sure someone on here can get you a better way to fix the problem. I dont know about our bubble problems though. Maybe someone will have the same kind of skimmer as you and could steer you in the right direction. HTH

ntswift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 10:37 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
If you are cycling your tank with those damsels, I would see if you can take them back to your LFS and get two cocktail shrimp from your grocery to finish the cycle. For one, it is inhumane and they might not make it. Two, once damsels get older, they can be very aggressive, and with your set up, you might have a hard time catching them or adding other fish to your tank.

PWC will replenish anything your critters use. Unless you have a bioload that requires more than you have in the water. I have read that most just increase PWc if they find their tanks being depleated of minerals and such. Personally, I try to keep it as natural as possible.

I don't use a skimmer, so som one else will be along to help you.
Age is relative, you are only as old as you act....of course, this works in reverse....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Acronym List

roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 08:32 PM   #4
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
Originally Posted by roka64
PWC will replenish anything your critters use.
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 10:36 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic
For the microbubbles, just curious what kind of skimmer are you using?
- Mike
125 gal. reef w sump/refugium & 8-bulb 640w T5's
45 gal fresh w/plants + CPF lighting
boardsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 10:08 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Send a message via Yahoo to army6192plt

a year in iraq and all i want to do is recreate a beach..... lol I must be crazy
army6192plt is offline   Reply With Quote

bubble, bubbles, microbubbles

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com