Help with ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Frickmiester

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am planning on buying a 125 gallon tank 72 inches long I wanted to do salt water reef but I want a lot of purple and yellow and red for the fish any good ideas for a beginner in salt water

Well some thoughts to get you started. Is the tank drilled with overflows? You want a reef not a fowlr right? Are you going to be doing a sump? For a red fish I would go with a flame angel, for purple you could do a purple tang or a yellow tang for yellow but not both. You could do an orchid dottyback for purple as well. Anthias come in all colors, um I know I'm forgetting some stuff. Liveaquaria has a good selection of fish and their minimum tank sizes. Also, expect to cycle the tank for a month or longer with just live rock and sand before adding any livestock. The month is just a guesstimate. It will probably take longer.

For Red, I would do a Flame Hawk. Flame Angels seem more Orange to me. For Yellow, there are a lot of choices...most Butterflies have yellow, the obvious Yellow Tang, mimic Lemonpeel Tang (they lose some yellow as the age), yellow Candy Hogfish (have red and yellow), Lemon peel Angel or Yellow Angel...there's a lot of yellows...for Purple...Purple Tang, Black Cap Basslets, there are a few Dotybacks that are purple or yellow/purple.

For Red, I would do a Flame Hawk. Flame Angels seem more Orange to me. For Yellow, there are a lot of choices...most Butterflies have yellow, the obvious Yellow Tang, mimic Lemonpeel Tang (they lose some yellow as the age), yellow Candy Hogfish (have red and yellow), Lemon peel Angel or Yellow Angel...there's a lot of yellows...for Purple...Purple Tang, Black Cap Basslets, there are a few Dotybacks that are purple or yellow/purple.

True about the flame unless you get one that is vibrant. I didn't include butterflies because I figured the op wanted a reef. But yeah there are a lot of brightly colored fish that will fit the bill.

Well I wanted to have a anemone and the way I was able to talk my fiancée into letting get another large tank is I told her I woul get her some LSU colored fish

I was looking at something like these guys

Attachments

• image-1898012245.jpg
    image-1898012245.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 86
  • image-4097262764.jpg
    image-4097262764.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 49
I think those are like like royal gramma or something like that I have only ever done African cichlids so I'm completely new to salt water

Royal gramma would definitely work, very cool fish. Loads of personality

I also do not know I it is drilled for over flows and I have never done a sump but would like to

Back
Top Bottom