Help with lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

craig_will2513

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi I am getting back into marine and since I last had it a lot has changed. I am after some help with lighting and was looking at L.E.D anyone tell me if they are any good and what sort of power I'd need in watts. I'd like fish and coral and maybe a nem.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Anywhere from 3-5 watts per led. Current usa is a good brand. Check them out

Sent from my ME302C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Anywhere from 3-5 watts per led. Current usa is a good brand. Check them out

Sent from my ME302C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Currents LEDs aren't very good for reefs, and definitely won't support a nem. Op what's your budget and tank dimensions?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If you're looking for name brand and nicer lights there are kessil, radions, ai vega/hydra, maxspect, orphek. All are good fixtures but come with a nice price tag as well. Off brand the ebay 120 watt dimmable LEDs are great and affordable and will grow whatever. There's also lots of DIY led fixtures out there. Rapidleds, buildmyled, etc... Offer kits to build your own and piece it together.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks. Still confused as someone said they arnt good for coral or nems what's everyone els think... For coral and nems what sort of watt would I need. I was thinking led at the rear of the tank over the rock work and corals and 2 t5 for the front

The t5s would be unnecessary, but if you want them, it won't hurt anything but your wallet to add them. Someone said the current fixtures are underpowered, not all the rest that were mentioned. The person who suggested 3 to 5 watt leds (a good suggestion) also recommended the current fixture that I believe only sports 1 watt leds.

So med would support a nem if I got the correct ones. 3 5 watt per light. And how many lights would I require. I think the one I saw had 28

What size tank is this? The width and depth of your tank will help us suggest a good fixture for you. Also, the budget- what are you looking to spend?

Back
Top Bottom