help with lighting for 150gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

palmtri

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So im planning to buy a 150 gallon salt water fish tank, and i dont know what kind of lighting to get. My tank dimensions are 60x24x24. how much lighting would i need for this, so that it is not too much but not to little either?

What type of tank will it be? Fish only, reef?

For a fish only you will need minimal lighting. A standard florescent strip light will do the trick. You may want to look into different bulb types to help bring out the colors of the fish.

If your planning on adding light dependent inhabitants corals/anemones/clams etc... you will need substantially more light, and to provide us more details for a better suggestion. HTH's

-Karl

karlseith said:
What type of tank will it be? Fish only, reef?

For a fish only you will need minimal lighting. A standard florescent strip light will do the trick. You may want to look into different bulb types to help bring out the colors of the fish.

If your planning on adding light dependent inhabitants corals/anemones/clams etc... you will need substantially more light, and to provide us more details for a better suggestion. HTH's

-Karl

+1 karl. reef. Or fowlr cuz let's face it.. u need live rock.. lighting in reefs need more then your normal t8 s but with that size of a tank star out with just fish and live rock.. what alot of people do is do fish only but limit themselves to fish that are reef safe.. and with that size of tank you have plenty of options.

If you want to keep corals you should look at an 8bulb t5 ho fixture. This will give u plenty of light to reach the bottom of the tank. My 60gal is 48"l x 12"w x 24"h... I have a 8 bulb fixture each light individually reflected. You could also use mh and a combination of led or t5. It all depends on your budget and how much you wan to spend.

Back
Top Bottom