help with my new 55 g almost reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bunbury22

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 55 g reef tank that I set up about 4 weeks ago. Currently I only have 3 three striped damselfishes and 1 clownfish to create bacteria. I also have 1 bubble coral and about 25 pounds of live rock. I know I need more rock and I will get it. Can you guys tell me how I can create more good algae for my aquarium? I'm starting to see brown algae but I would like to speed up the spreading of good algae?

brown diatoms are normal and unavoidable. i expect you are referring to coralline algae when you say good algae. you have to have it present in order for it to grow in the first place. if you have some on your rock then it will spread with the right parameters and light. if you don't have any, you'll need to introduce it somehow.

while i believe no algae is "good" algae in the display, coralline is a calcium based algae and will not grow as fast as other algae. it takes months for it to spread with proper calcium and alkalinity levels.

Thanks man I started to notice the brown diatoms, I just want some bacteria in there to continue with the addition of fishes but you answered my question thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom