Help with my water current

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium Advice Regular
My set up is a 20L, with 2 maxijet 600's. I have about 20-25 lbs live rock, pretty much set up in a wall going left to right in my tank. The problem with this is that it separates my tank in to a front and rear section. I originally had my ph set up with one in the back left...aiming towards the front center, and the other one on the back right...aiming towards the back left so there isn't a dead spot in the back. After doing some reading, I noticed that it wasn't ideal to have this circular motion, but to have more of a random effect. How would you suggest that I set up my ph's so that I can get more of a random effect without a whole dead spot in the back of my tank? Or am I screwed because of my LR arrangement? I tried them both in the back corners aiming towards front center. The front had some nice current my clowns started to play in, but the rear was definitely a dead spot. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

If your rock is stacked in the middle and not touching the back of the tank, you can position the powerheads and the center of each side pane and point them towards one another. This will cause a caotic flow and force the water downward and outward. It should allow flow in both front and back. Just be sure anything directly below where the flow intersects appreciates heavy turbulance. Having the rock stacked off the glass is much better at reducing dead spots to begin with so you are heading in the right direction.

Cheers
Steve

So putting the wall of rocks right up against the rear of the tank is alright? I just figured if i put it like 2/3 of the way back then the fish can hide behind it or whatever. Plus i wasn't sure if it would be safe to have the rocks right up against the glass. I don't think i can really point it at each other from the sides because my rocks pretty much go from left tank wall to right tank wall. I'll try go take a look at it. Thanks.

808 said:
So putting the wall of rocks right up against the rear of the tank is alright? I just figured if i put it like 2/3 of the way back then the fish can hide behind it or whatever. Plus i wasn't sure if it would be safe to have the rocks right up against the glass.
Opinions will vary on this but in all honestly the best way to place the rock is free standing away from te sides and the back. The closer to the sidewalls and such the greater flow will be reduced and the higher the probability of detritus/waste accumulation. The freer the area's the better the flow and greater chance of keeping the waste in suspention. The equipment will then have the best possible chance at exporting it which is the ultimate goal.

I don't think i can really point it at each other from the sides because my rocks pretty much go from left tank wall to right tank wall. I'll try go take a look at it.
You might have to fiddle with the rock a bit and some re arranging but it will be well worth it. It's about the best solution unless you are willing to look into a closed loop or mainfold.

Cheers
Steve

i heave my LR stacked in the middle as steve said but hav a few corner bits of pipe 2 get the right flow it seems 2 work

Back
Top Bottom