Help with new 180 Gal set up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bolter

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am working on setting up a 180 gal saltwater tank. I filled the tank tonight and added the salt. I am using a wet/dry filter system. The question I have is in the sump what is the water level suppose to be? Are the bio-balls in water or just have water running over them? I also have a problem with the pump. It seems that the pump is pumping more water than is entering the tank. I have 2 1" siphon tubes that drop into the sump. I even drilled more holes in the plate so I can move more water. When I turn on the pump it starts to overfill my tank. The water leaves the sump goes past a 1" ball valve through the pump past a 1" check valve up the back of the tank where it is tees off to 2 3/4" lines that go into the tank. The 3/4" line have ball valves as well and I now have to close the at lease half way. When I place my hand in front of the flow nozzles there does not seem to be a lot of flow. I am concern that I am not cylcling enough gallons per hour. Any advice or links to more info would be great. Thanks again

Don
Las Vegas

Sounds like your overflow/stand pipes cant keep up with the return pump? I think thats you are getting at. What GPH is the pump rated at? Your turnover doesnt have to be all in the sump, you can get some PH's or a closed loop to add to it as well.

The pump is rated at 1800 gpm. Hoever I am lifting 5.5' and that drops it to 1200 gpm. Do I need to add another overflow pipe? I will be getting power heads as well, how many do you think I need. I just was not sure if I am filtering enough water per hour.

You might want to get a pump that turns over less water per hour or run a tee from you return line back into the sump. You can control this flow with a ball valve.

You mean GPH? Im not sure about the math to calculate pipe size and GPH to see what you are putting into the sump. Is there just 1 return?

Marc118,

There is a 1" return that tees off to 2 3/4" lines on each side of the tank. From there it 90's down into tthe tank and goes from 3/4" PVC to flex knuckle pipe Y's to two spray heads.

According to some math a 1.43" pipe will do 1200gph, so your return pump must be doing more than 1200gph. Whats the make/model?

The pump is a Magnetetic Drive Utility Submersible pump Model 18 1800 GPH. I am lifting ~5.5 feet of head. Today I went to the LFS where I bought it and they gave me a 1200 GPH pump and said try that with the ball valves full open. Well I did and it was about the same, I still have to close the valves a little. Whee does the skimmer box have to be? I have it as low as possible because I do not want the water level too high. Any other ideas...

Well I opened the valves full open and the tank seems to be stable. My tanks water level is about 1" from overflowing, but it has not done so for 2 days. I added my decorations today, some coral and rocks (not live). The bottom is crush coral and Arag-Alive sand. The salt level is stable and correct. The question I have is where is my Ph suppose to be at. Does it depend on the fish or is it the same for all. The Bio-Filter sump is working fine. I have the water level so that half of the balls are in water and the other half are not and have water running over them. Thanks for all the help.
Don

Back
Top Bottom