Help with new bulbs comming today!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamal-188

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well I've finally decided to ditch my coralvue 10K bulbs(10months or so old) for some new 14K bubls. I haven't burned my MH's the last few days because It seemed every hour they were on caused more and more damage to some of my new acros. So....how should I go about burning the new bulbs? Should I run them for less time, cover the tank with a layer of window screen and full time, or just burn them the normal 8 hours? I may be wrong but I"m worried about running them the full 8 hours due to the fact the other bulbs were close to a year old and I haven't been running them much this week. I don't want to shock anything.

BTW, a friend at work suggested that my problem could be due to water splashing on the bulbs which can cause tiny hairy line cracks which allows dangerous levels of UV light through the bulb. I inspected my bulbs and it doesn't appear there are some tiny hair line cracks...any thoughts on this theory?

BTW, thumbs up to Darrin at Captive Reefs, he was kind enough to talk to me last Sunday about this stuff. My new Sailfert test kits were shipped super quick and the bulbs and my new 400 retro came quick straight from Coralvue :D

I would do the window screen, but get the right stuff so you can do multiple layers and remove one every few days/per week, etc. It should be fairly cheap at Home Depot or Lowes. If this is too inconvenient, with the CV bulb issue fixed, I think you could get away with shortening the photoperiod and extending it every few days.

a friend at work suggested that my problem could be due to water splashing on the bulbs which can cause tiny hairy line cracks which allows dangerous levels of UV light through the bulb. I inspected my bulbs and it doesn't appear there are some tiny hair line cracks...any thoughts on this theory?

I don't really buy it. The UV issue with the CV bulbs was already detailed as being a manufacturing problem, which is why they did a complete change on the bulbs.

I got the bubls and love them! I'll try to find some of the screen at home depot, I'd rather be safe than sorry :D

I'll have some before/after pics tomorrow!!

Back
Top Bottom