Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-20-2011, 04:49 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I am going to fish store tomorrow i will ask. But i doubt it . They dont seemed stressed but what do i know. Im down to lowest levels before zero on chart so maybe its just about done.

Old 09-20-2011, 04:52 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh5150 View Post
I thought i did it right the first time . tank sat 2 weeks and right before i put the 3 chromis in all levels were good. not one person i talked to said anything about cycling tank. Thats why i started with a 30 gal . around xmas im going to do a 75 gal. Better to learn on small tank rather than a big tank. I will get it down just need more time. Thanks for everyones help . Keep info coming please
That is how I am learning too. One surprise I learned is that the smaller tanks are actually harder than the bigger tanks. Less water means all the parameters swing quicker and with bigger swings. More water helps even it out. Going into this I thought I had a "Big" tank. It is a 45 gal. Now I learn many on this site think that would be a "Small Sump". LOL Most important thing, have fun doing it.

Old 09-20-2011, 05:07 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Yep, if you can home the fish for a few weeks that would be your best bet. You can cycle properly and won't have to worry about doing water changes everyday.

The fish are currently your ammonia source as far as cycling and it's a fine line cycling with fish in. Without them you can dose up your tank to 4ppm ammonia and not worry about it. It's just a waiting game after that.

Just my opinion! lol
Old 09-20-2011, 05:38 PM   #14

I really dont wanna lose the fish and i have no one to take them so for now its the slow road. Im gonna give 2 weeks and see what happens . If after that levels are still high i will get rid of fish and start over .
Old 09-20-2011, 05:48 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Just keep those ammonia and nitrite levels down with water changes and they should be fine. It's just alot more buckets of water and time you have to commit now.

Good luck!!!
Old 09-20-2011, 05:57 PM   #16

I am a stay at home dad so i have plenty of time but very little patience ( I am working on the patience). Once i get this tank set im gonna use it for a quaratine tank.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:31 PM   #17

Thanks for all the help. Looks like the cycle is coming to an end am + nitrite levels way down but not yet zero and nitrate going up.
Thanks to all
Old 09-21-2011, 12:36 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Good for you! it's always a rush getting to the end cause fish and livestock are in the near future! You should be done in a few days I'd guess. Then it's the water change and youre ready to slowly add fish.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com